Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Create-a-Caption: "Mascots for the Washington Capitals, left, and Wizards, surprise a biker on the Mall as the duo was being filmed. (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call)"
• • •
• • •
Five things to know about tonight's NHL games ...
1. Cole Harbour Ready For Crosby Vs. MacKinnon. We called Big Leagues, the (only) Cole Harbour sports bar, and asked if they were doing anything special for Nathan MacKinnon vs. Sidney Crosby tonight, in the battle of the local boys-made-NHL-good. They said $10 pitchers of beer, which means this is the Cole Harbour equivalent of the Super Bowl.
2. Freddie Lives. Freddie Hamilton will play in his first NHL game for the Sharks, on a line with Joe Thornton and Tomas Hertl. He's the older brother of Dougie Hamilton of the Boston Bruins, whom they face on Thursday night.
3. Weiss Not Nice. The Red Wings have dropped Stephen Weiss to the third line and taken him off the power play as the free-agent signee struggles. Said Mike Babcock, sports psychologist: "I took him off the power play, put him on the penalty kill, and put him in the three-hole and he can play against (Joe) Pavelski all night tonight. That will be a battle in itself. And just look after defense, and once he settles down the rest will come.”
4. Sutter on the Flames. LA Kings Darryl Sutter summed up the Flames this season thusly: "System-wise, they’re identical. It’s pretty much the same. I know how they’ve talked about getting younger, but they’re the same age, within decimal points. Good skating team, and their scoring – they do lots on the rush. They’re scoring almost three and a half goals a game."
5. Mike Cammalleri in? The Flames' Mike Cammalleri took the morning skate but will be a game-time decision, as he's nearly back from a hand injury.
• • •
Bold Prediction: Freddie Hamilton gets more points than Tomas Hertl but doesn't force a goalie into retirement.
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Detroit Red Wings
- Washington Capitals
- Colorado Avalanche
- Calgary Flames
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Freddie Hamilton
- San Jose Sharks
- Los Angeles Kings