The Carolina Hurricanes have been putting out teasers of their new uniforms on Instagram for over a week. On Tuesday, all of the pieces were put together as the team unveiled their new home and road looks at PNC Arena:
Anyone else look at them quickly and think they were seeing the Phoenix Coyotes, or maybe even Team Canada?
From the Canes, here's some detail on the new uniforms:
To both sweaters:
- There is a smaller, lighter crest on both sweaters. The logo outline was changed from metallic to matte silver finish.
- The warning flag pattern was moved from the base of the sweater to inside the neckline.
- Lettering and numbering changed to a clean, round, sans-serif-based font.
- The shoulder patches were removed from both sweaters.
To the red sweater:
- A cleaner look was established, highlighting the team’s dominant color. All striping is white, with black being used in the neckline and to outline letters and numbers.
- Bold white stripes highlight the arms and base for a classic look.
- White lacing is used on the black collar.
To the white sweater:
- A red shoulder yoke was established, which extends on the back to include the nameplate. The feature is unique in the NHL.
- Numbers and letters were changed from red with a black outline to black with a silver outline.
- Bold striping to establish a classic look.
To the pants and gloves:
- The Hurricanes logo and bottom black band were removed from the pants.
- All glove sets are predominantly red with small white highlights. Black and silver has been removed.
According to general manager Jim Rutherford, he was approached by the marketing team who suggested that they make a uniform change after the franchise's 15th year anniversary, which was this past season.
Another note from the unveiling is that Carolina's alternate black jersey will remain in their rotation for next season. Also, the moving of the hurricane warning pattern from the base to inside the neckline is similar to the piano keys on the Nashville Predators jerseys.
For us, they aren't one of the top looks in the NHL, but they are a dramatic improvement from what the Hurricanes have been wearing. We never did like the base pattern.
What do you think?
Pass or Fail: The new uniforms for the Carolina Hurricanes
Follow Sean Leahy on Twitter at @Sean_Leahy
NHL video from Yahoo! Sports:
Related coverage on Yahoo! Sports:
• Kings' Mike Richards out for Game 3 against Blackhawks
• Wayne Gretzky all but rules out interest in Rangers' coaching job
• Are the Penguins done after Bruins' Game 2 domination?
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Phoenix Coyotes