Hockey icon and former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin has just joined PokerStars as one of its international celebrity ambassadors. You'll soon see him both online at PokerStars under the name "MatsSundin" and live at PokerStars-sponsored events, including on the European Poker Tour which kicks off next week in Barcelona.
... "I have always enjoyed playing poker and partnering with PokerStars gives me the opportunity to challenge myself and explore the full potential of my game. I believe the fighting spirit I've developed as a hockey pro will really help me at the tables."
A few thoughts:
• Playing poker with Mats Sundin would absolutely suck. You'd completely run out of beer and the sun will have come up by the time he figures out whether to bet or fold ... on the first hand.
• Although, come to think of it, this summer has shown he's pretty damn good at bluffing.
• Perhaps it's the lighting, but is Mats looking a little too much like the German mechanic Indiana Jones fought near the plane or what?
• Obviously his poker confidence must be rather high, knowing that no matter how much he loses, he'll still be a god to most of Toronto.
• Is there any way we can get Ambassador Sundin down to that awesome Vincent Lecavalier celebrity poker tournament in Tampa Bay? Because we're rather enamored with the idea of Mats, Michael Ian Black, Ryan Malone and a "Deal or No Deal" girl fighting over the same pot.
• Finally, please note that 100 percent of the money Sundin earns from playing poker will be donated to charity. Which is inspiring, impressive and speaks the character that's made Sundin such a hockey legend on and off the ice. But really doesn't fit our agenda of unrepentant snark, so that's why it's listed last, you dig?
H/T to Waiting for Stanley for the find and the great Sundin coverage all summer.
- Mats Sundin