Brian Burke's defamation suit seemed like a joke at first. After all, it's hard to take seriously a suit that lists among its defendants "CAMBARKERFAN" and "POONERMAN". As we quickly discovered, however, the suit was no joke.
Still pretty funny. Defamation of character certainly isn't, but "Poonerman"? Hilarious. The mere fact that the name "Poonerman" is listed on a legal document will never not amuse me.
But it didn't just amuse me -- it also inspired me. Brian Burke may think Poonerman and his friends need to be taught a lesson, I think the dude needs an ode. Recently, I got together with frequent musical collaborators Daniel Wagner and Bryan Binnema to write one. Our process was documented in this short film by "Call the Union" director Mark Yuen.
Friends, I give you: Poonerman.
If you're curious, the songs parodied here are as follows:
• Michael Jackson - "Man in the Mirror"
• Feist - "My Moon My Man"
• Soundgarden - "Spoon Man"
• Dusty Springfield - "Son of a Preacher Man"
• Percy Sledge - "When a Man Loves a Woman"
• R.E.M - "Man on the Moon"
• David Bowie - "Starman"
• Three Doors Down - "Kryptonite"
• Billy Joel - "Piano Man"
• Sam & Dave - "Soul Man"
• Neil Young - "Old Man"
• Black Sabbath - "Iron Man"
• Nina Simone - "Sinnerman"
• The Beatles - "Nowhere Man"
We never did come to a final decision, but I'm partial to "Poonerman Loves a Woman", personally.
Follow Harrison Mooney on Twitter at @HarrisonMooney