Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• An epic coaching tantrum. Buzzing The Net has the details.
• Wayne Gretzky on what Michael Jordan would say about the Hawks’ record: “If we were sitting here, Michael Jordan would say what the Heat are doing is better than the Blackhawks,” Gretzky said. “And if I was sitting with him, I would tell him what the Blackhawks are doing is better than the Heat.” [Sherman Report]
• Ryan Getzlaf on Corey Perry staying with the Anaheim Ducks: “I’ve wanted to be here and I’ve wanted Corey to be here. We’ve had lots of conversations and me and Perrs will talk along the way here I’m sure. Hopefully, they can get it done. I just want to worry about our game going forward. What they can do with Perrs is up to them.” [Globe & Mail]
• Cam Charron on hockey analytics: “That said, there are some teams that I know dabble in analytics who come up with some confusing decisions. The Vancouver Canucks, for instance, who have attended the Sloan conference for the last four seasons have tried to make it through the first half of the short season with a single NHL-tested top nine centreman. The Calgary Flames, one of four teams that lists an analytical director as a staff member on the team page, have made an unending number of bizarre offseason decisions resulting in consecutive playoff misses, and on their way for a third. The Buffalo Sabres are the second worst team in the Eastern Conference and fired their coach for the first time in a generation this season.” [Backhand Shelf]
• Ralph Kruger says Ryan Smyth will be at center tonight: “Ryan Smyth will be playing at centre. We just made the decision on Hemsky now so we'll have a coaches meeting to finalize the lineup. I can't tell you which combinations will be going until the warm-up tonight." [Oilers]
• Finally, via Kukla, here is Razor Reaugh’s “rectum-rattling blast” of a hit by Drew Droughty: