Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
• Via James Duthie, Jaromir Jagr is old. Here's a 1998 photo of the mulleted one with teammate Dan Kesa's nephews. The nephew on the left: Milan Lucic.
The Penguins look to push their incredible win streak to 16 games, just one shy of the NHL record. They'll have to do it without Sidney Crosby, who's out indefinitely after taking that puck to the jaw Saturday. On the bright side, this team is pretty used to playing without Crosby. "I'm sure we'll be OK," said James Neal.
The Northeast Division has unexpectedly become one of the most competitive divisions in hockey, with four of its five teams sitting in the top six in the East. If the Senators want to keep pace with Boston and Montreal above them, they can't let this one get away. Boston can move six points clear with a win.
The Predators currently sit 5th in the Central Division, but that's not so bad considering all four teams ahead of them are sitting in a playoff spot. They can be too, with a win versus Conference-worst Colorado. But it's not as easy as it sounds. The Avs have won both meetings this season.
The Coyotes have lost two straight at home for the first time all season. But if they're in a need of a wake-up call, a visit from the Kings should do the trick: these two clubs still hate each other.
• The top ten Stanley Cup replicas, featuring the incredible Hamley Cup. [Greatest Hockey Legends]
• "The 23-year-old man charged with first-degree rape after being arrested by University of Alabama in Huntsville police is a member of the school's hockey team." Yuck. [Huntsville Times]
• Scott Cullen looks at the Derek Roy trade. [TSN]
• Jeff Skinner is slumping. Is it related to his concussion? [Sun Belt Hockey]
• Try to follow the tangled web woven by the Jarome Iginla and Jaromir Jagr trades. [Senshot]
• Does the Jagr trade signal the beginning of Joe Niuewendyk's true rebuild? [Defending Big D]
• Try to grasp the insanity of George Gwozdecky’s dismissal from the University of Denver. [United States of Hockey]
• The KHL has been playing on international ice for six years, but no longer. The league will be shrinking from 30-metre wide rinks to 28-metres. [Ria Novosti]
• Who will the Flames trade next? [Flames Nation]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: Peardo asks a very good question about the fan that tossed a moose leg onto the ice at a junior game:
How'd he get that in?
"Is that a moose leg in your pants?" is actually a pretty common phrase in Canada.
Bold prediction: Some trades happen.
- Sports & Recreation
- Ice Hockey
- Jaromir Jagr
- Sidney Crosby
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Boston Bruins