Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• I feel like this might be a knockoff jersey. Something about it. Not sure. [Reddit Hockey]
• A reminder that the orientation camp rosters are preliminary. "In 2009, 46 players were invited to the Canadian men’s Olympic orientation camp in Calgary, but Patrice Bergeron wasn’t among them. Four months later, when the roster for the 2010 Olympic team was announced, Bergeron’s name was there, but a whole lot of other sure-fire, can’t-miss candidates had fallen by the wayside, including Jeff Carter, who’d scored 46 goals the previous year, most among Canadian-born players." [The Globe & Mail]
• Should the NHL consider European expansion over Quebec and Seattle? [Defending Big D]
• Tim Leiweke has apologized for disrespecting the Maple Leafs' history by suggesting the team take down the pictures of the glory days that hang in the ACC hallways. How dare he suggest Toronto stop living in the past! [Slam]
• Dos and Don'ts for your upcoming NHL arbitration hearing. "DO: Remember that the CBA allows a player to mention any 'special qualities of leadership or public appeal'.
DO NOT: Phrase your argument as 'I like to quit on my team as soon as we're down a few games in a playoff series, so based on this year you can go ahead and pencil me in for a Messier Leadership Award'." [Down Goes Brown]
• Hockey players battle figure skaters for ice time in Edina. I suggest a compromise. Have these people not watched the Mighty Ducks? Figure skating makes you better at hockey. Sign these kids up for both. [Star Tribune]
• Rocco Grimaldi hopes to be the next great little guy of the NHL. [Panther Parkway]
• Nobody wants to participate in an arbitration hearing: Trevor Lewis and the LA Kings have agreed to a one-year deal. [LA Kings Insider]
• Looking back on a year of living Nashlessly, the Blue Jackets are pretty happy with how it went. [Blue Jackets Xtra]
• Taking a moment to remember the Hartford Whalers, as one should every now and then. [Eye on Hockey]
• This is a neat idea: looking at the raw numbers and with the names removed, which available free agent should the Hurricanes sign? [Shutdown Line]
• According to Andrei Nikolishin, Jaromir Jagr is "very emotional and vulnerable." [RMNB]
• With a decrease in fighting, will the OHL see a decrease in concussions? [Buzzing the Net]
• Should the Columbus Blue Jackets be taking some of their preseason games to other sites in Ohio in an effort to build their brand? [Union and Blue]
• Finally, Jonathan Toews, Zach Bogosian, Shane Hnidy star in... the Miracle on Grass.
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- David Perron