Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
It's confusing being a Canucks fan. Said Roberto Luongo: "This guy might need a longer jersey by the time it's all said and done."
The Penguins may be getting Kris Letang and Matt Niskanen back in the lineup for this one, and it couldn't come at a better time. They've lost two in a row. The moment you lose three, it can be characterized as a "losing streak", and no one wants that. Speaking of streaking, Erik Karlsson has 3 goals in 4 games, which will happen when you direct about a bajillion shots at the net every night.
Not a good time for the Blues to be visiting Detroit, where they've lost four straight. Things aren't going so hot for them these days. It's been five games since the last time they held an opponent to fewer than four goals. They're 0-4-1 in that slide, and two of those losses have come to the Red Wings. Incredibly, this is already the fourth time these clubs have met this season.
Two teams trending in opposite directions meet in this one. Dallas has won 4 straight. Calgary has lost 6 of its last 7. The trick for Calgary will be, unsurprisingly, getting Jarome Iginla going. Bob Hartley tries him on a line with Ben Street and Jiri Hudler last game, and we'll sure to see a few different combinations if this one if the Flames struggle early.
• Evander Kane on how he's perceived: "I think a good portion of it is because I'm black and I'm not afraid to say that." We'll have more on this tomorrow. [THN]
• The Winnipeg Jets have acquired Eric Tangradi from the Penguins for a 7th round draft pick. [TSN]
• Andrew Brunette retires and will join the Minnesota Wild's front office staff as a hockey ops advisor. [Star Tribune]
• The Ryan O'Reilly trade situation has been upgraded from possible to probable. Teammate Shane O'Brien: “He’s making a decision maybe he’ll regret. Maybe he won’t. It all depends on how it works out for him. It’s the bad side of hockey, the business side that no one likes. But I can see both sides of the dilemma . . . It’s gotten ugly. It sucks, definitely sucks, but it is what it is and we’re going to move forward as a group. We got a good group in here. We’re going to stick together, work our way out of this and hopefully start winning some hockey games.” [Denver Post]
• Dave Stubbs on the maturation of Carey Price. He's very mature now. And he only watches independent films. [Montreal Gazette]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: "S", on the Minnesota goaltender that scored on his own net then flipped off his coaches:
That is just not being Minnesota nice.
Bold prediction: Jarome Iginla comes alive like Frampton. 2 goals.
- Ice Hockey
- Sports & Recreation
- Detroit Red Wings
- Pittsburgh Penguins