- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy23 mins ago
It's the 2015 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Chatterbox!
The Chatterbox offers breaking news and insider insight in one place; to have, at the end of the day, a chronological review of the NHL Free Agent Frenzy's rumors and trades; and as a place for your friends at Puck Daddy to pop in and out during the day for quick chats.
For NHL Free Agent Frenzy, we've compiled Twitter feeds from some of the best hockey journalists, news-breakers and entertaining analysts for your viewing enjoyment.
The free-agent signing period begins at noon ET!
Kevin Allen of USA Today; Pierre LeBrun of ESPN; Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet; Michael Russo of the Star Tribune; Bob McKenzie of TSN; Darren Dreger of TSN; Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet; John Shannon of Sportsnet; Craig Custance of ESPN; Andy Strickland of KRTS; Dave Pagnotta of The Fourth Period; Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun; Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record; Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch; Chris Johnston of Sportsnet; your Puck Daddy buddies Wyshynski, Leahy, Cooper, Lambert and many more!
- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy10 hrs ago
The New York Post reported late Tuesday night that the Arizona Coyotes were being sold to billionaire Bill Foley and moved to Las Vegas for the 2016-17 season.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, well, refuted the report.
"The Post was told the story was completely untrue. They ran it anyway. The story is garbage. Team is staying put,” said Bettman, via Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona.
Anthony LeBlanc also offered a strong denial. "The article in the Post is 100 percent false. No truth to it whatsoever. I'm not an unidentified source, I'm a principal, so I think I should know."
Bill Daly, NHL deputy commissioner, sounded the same tone with a statement to TSN:
“The most ridiculous and irresponsible story I’ve ever been associated with. (The idea) has never been contemplated or discussed. Not even notionally.”
The report comes at an interesting time for both the Coyotes and hockey in Vegas.
- Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy10 hrs ago
Hours after the San Jose Sharks acquired Martin Jones, they locked him up with a three-year, $9 million deal, avoiding any threat of an offer sheet for the netminder who was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
On Tuesday afternoon, the Sharks sent the Boston Bruins a 2016 first-round pick and prospect Sean Kuraly in exchange for Jones, who was traded from the LA Kings to Boston on Saturday during the NHL Draft.
“Even draft picks, none of those are guaranteed. This is a guy we’ve seen,” said Sharks GM Doug Wilson, via CSN Bay Area. “We know a lot about him. It’s his style, his size – he’s a big goalie and highly competitive. You probably have more information on a player like this than you do a guy that you’d be drafting.”
- Sean Leahy at Puck Daddy10 hrs ago
The Stephen Weiss era in Detroit never really got underway after the forward signed a five-year, $24.9 million deal with the Red Wings in 2013. In two seasons, the former Florida Panthers captain missed 86 games as nagging injuries prevented him from being iproductive.
On Tuesday, the Red Wings ended Weiss’ time in Detroit, announcing they would be buying out the final three years of his deal.
According to General Fanager, Detroit will pay Weiss $1.67 million over the next six seasons and carry a $1.066 million cap hit for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons; a $2.56 million charge in 2017-18; and $1.67 million for the final three years.
Via MLive.com, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said cap issues were the driving force behind buying Weiss out this summer as opposed to last year. This season, players like Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Jurco need new deals, while Justin Abdelkader, Riley Sheahan, Petr Mrazek and Danny DeKeyser are just some of the names who will have to be extended next summer.
- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy11 hrs ago
The Anaheim Ducks wanted free-agent defenseman Francois Beauchemin back next season. General Manager Bob Murray even called him “a warrior.”
Francois Beauchemin wanted to return, too, but on his terms. And those terms started at three years at $5 million annually, which was allegedly an offer on the table for him from another suitor.
These were not terms Murray felt were all that favorable for the Ducks. So he started to explore a Plan B, and that led him to talks with the Vancouver Canucks involving defenseman Kevin Bieksa at last weekend’s NHL Draft.
The Canucks, however, were in talks with the San Jose Sharks regarding Bieksa. Vancouver wanted a second-round pick in the 2015 draft; the Sharks balked. So the trade was off.
Meanwhile, Beauchemin appeared on the way out of Anaheim.
“After we had discussed a few things, we made them a 1- or 2-year offer and it wasn’t good enough,” said Murray. “I was told they were going to the market early his morning. He told me what he was going to get in free agency, and I couldn’t get anywhere close to it. We had prepared for that circumstance and made the move for Kevin.”
- Josh Cooper at Puck Daddy12 hrs ago
Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen sees newly acquired winger Brandon Saad and center Ryan Johansen as making sweet, sweet music together for a number of years.
“We’ve been looking for a left winger, left shot, left wing for Ryan Johansen who’s a right shot centerman,” Kekalainen said after he dealt for the power winger from Chicago for a package that included Artem Anisimov and Marko Dano.
“Brandon seems to be a very good fit and good candidate for that role, he’s played on the first line, first line minutes first line role for the Chicago Blackhawks in winning two Stanley Cups and I think there can be some good chemistry between those two.”
There is that pesky issue of getting Saad, who reportedly wanted upwards of $6.5 million per-year on a six-year contract, signed as a restricted free agent. But Kekalainen didn’t seem to think that would be an issue he said on a conference call.
- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy13 hrs ago
It’s gotten to the point where listening to Nashville Predators GM David Poile flailing about trying to rationalize re-signing Mike Ribeiro is downright painful.
Most painful, obviously, is the way he speaks about Ribeiro’s vital place on the roster while the centerman faces a civil suit alleging that he sexually violated an 18-year-old nanny to his children a few years ago.
If Ribeiro didn’t re-sign with Nashville, “that changes a lot,” Poile told 102.5 The Game in Nashville on Tuesday. “It’s a good fit for us, in where he plays in our line up,” he added, wondering where he could find another center of Ribeiro’s caliber.
Equally as painful is the way he draws a line in the sand between the Mike Ribeiro that is alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman in her sleep and then forced her down when she attempted to flee, and the sober Mike Ribeiro that played for the Predators last season.
- Josh Cooper at Puck Daddy13 hrs ago
New Calgary Flames defenseman Dougie Hamilton isn’t going to dispel any sort of rumors about his leaving the Boston Bruins because to him, there weren’t any real problems.
Recently, Hamilton became the latest Boston-area athlete to be shoved out the door by a local media story.
“I’m trying not to pay attention to all that stuff too much,” Hamilton said. “I think for me right now it’s just a lot of excitement honestly with me just getting traded to the Flames and now signing and everything.”
General manager Brad Treliving was a little more, um, stout in his assessment of Hamilton and what he thought about his newest prized blueliner. In fact, Treliving interjected after Hamilton answered a question about this on a conference call Tuesday. The Flames acquired Hamilton on Saturday at the NHL Draft and signed him to a six-year contract Tuesday.
- Josh Cooper at Puck Daddy13 hrs ago
According to TMZ Sports, former Los Angeles Kings center Mike Richards was stopped crossing the border from the United States into Canada on June 17 and was questioned about the prescription painkiller oxycodone.
It’s important to note this fact in the piece:
For the record, Richards has NOT been charged with a crime.
The Kings terminated Richards’ 12-year $69 million contract Monday for what the team called “a material breach” of the requirements of his deal.
Los Angeles has not commented further on the topic. The NHL Players’ Association said it is looking into the situation, but conferring with Richards on how to proceed forward.
Earlier Tuesday, ESPN.com said the Royal Canadian Mounted Police was involved with the Richards investigation. The TMZ report confirmed this fact.
- - - - - - -
- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy14 hrs ago
Hey, remember when Kevin Bieksa was going to be traded to the Sharks? It almost happened, but the Sharks wouldn't give up a second rounder in the 2015 NHL Draft.
So the Vancouver Canucks did the proper thing, which was to spite them by trading Bieksa for a 2016 second-round pick and sending him to the Sharks' rivals. Hence, Bieksa is now a defenseman for the Anaheim Ducks.
From the Ducks:
The Anaheim Ducks announced today that the National Hockey League (NHL) club has acquired defenseman Kevin Bieksa from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for a second-round selection in the 2016 NHL Draft.
Bieksa, 34 (6/16/81), scored 56-185=241 points with a +22 rating and 879 penalty minutes (PIM) in 597 career NHL games with Vancouver. Among all-time franchise defensemen, Bieksa ranked sixth in scoring, assists and games, and fourth in PIM. Among franchise playoff leaders for defensemen, he led in goals (10), ranked third in appearances (71) and sixth in scoring.