Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Enjoy Jack Edwards' expectedly animated call of Patrice Bergeron's Game 7 OT winner and find out what the Boston Bruins do with the point of the dagger at their throats.
• John Tortorella takes a shot at the fallen Capitals: "We’ve got everybody and their brother whining up there in Washington about what happened in that series, and I think that’s a big reason why they lose that series. [NY Daily News]
• Thomas Boswell rips the Washington Capitals something fierce. "When you have a star who was made captain not because he deserved it but in the hopes that it would prod him to get in better shape, cut down his carousing and show some leadership, why be shocked when he scores fewer goals (one) in a first-round exit than Rangers fourth-liner Arron Asham?" [Washington Post]
• The NHL has officially announced the two outdoor regular-season games at Yankee Stadium next season. The Rangers will face the Devils on Sunday, January 26, and then the Islanders on Wednesday, January 29. The Rangers will be the visiting team for both games.
• Raffi Torres has been offered the in-person hearing option, which means the suspension could be longer than five games. [TSN]
• Teemu Selanne on how he'll make the decision to play or not next year: "It’s a commitment with training and dedication in the summertime. That’s when you have to be ready. Like I said before the good thing is, I don’t have to play. I only play because I want to play. That’s the motivation that players dream of. That’s why I take some time off. I want to start feeling either way. Do I really want to start pushing myself again? If I don’t have it, then I don’t play. That’s the best way to do it. After like six weeks, I’ll start thinking about whether I want to start working out. Your body and your mind start missing it, and then you know what’s the right decision. If you don’t get that, then it’s time to start doing something else." [Ducks]
• This is cruel. [Reddit]
• Mike Babcock is the worst trash-talker on the planet. “Chicago’s a great city. They’ve got great players. They’ve got five D who are flat-out great skaters. They’ve got a captain who’s a real good human being and a great leader. They’ve got lots of skill and good depth. They’re well-organized. The national anthem is fun. Good uniforms. They’ve got nice restaurants. It’s a good spot. We’ll have a good time. We got a lot of reasons to be excited about playing them.” [The Globe & Mail]
• Sure, you witnessed a collapse, Leafs fans, but you witnessed a collapse that only happens once in sixty lifetimes. Revel in the history. [MC79Hockey]
Read More »from Jack Edwards calls OT winner; Torts on Caps ‘whining’; Yankee Stadium twin bill (Puck Headlines)