Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Shutdown Corner

This time, Rolando McClain walking away from NFL for good

Eric Edholm
Shutdown Corner
Oakland Raiders v Kansas City Chiefs
.

View photo

KANSAS CITY, MO - OCTOBER 28: Quarterback Brady Quinn #9 of the Kansas City Chiefs is sacked by middle linebacker Rolando McClain #55 of the Oakland Raiders during the game at Arrowhead Stadium on October 28, 2012 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

Rolando McClain has been through a lot for a 24-year-old. But the NFL apparently will not be a part of what he does in the future.

McClain told ESPN's Seth Wickersham, who has remained in close contact with McClain since writing a feature on his off-field troubles last year, that he is done playing football.

McClain was the former No. 8 overall pick in the draft of the Oakland Raiders. He struggled on the field with the team and got in trouble multiple times with the law, which we outlined in detail last week when it appeared McClain was making a comeback with the Baltimore Ravens.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome has known McClain well since he was at Alabama and has tried to offer guidance and opportunities after burning out in Oakland. But McClain, who was out of the NFL in 2013 (on the Ravens' reserve/retired list), told Wickersham he was trying his best to overcome his demons and apparently doesn't feel that playing football will help him along that path.

McClain might be a former draft bust and a sad story to this point, but if staying away from the NFL can help him achieve the personal growth he desires, then the more power to him.

- - - - - - -

Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at edholm@yahoo-inc.com or follow him on Twitter!

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments (68)