Breaking news from Woj:

Shutdown Corner

Search warrant request confirms Aaron Hernandez investigated as possible gunman in 2012 double murder

Frank Schwab
Shutdown Corner

View photo

.

(USA Today Sports Images)

Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, being held on charges of first-degree murder in the June 2013 shooting of former semipro football player Odin Lloyd, is also being investigated as the possible gunman in a 2012 double murder.

According to the Associated Press, a search warrant request confirms for the first time that Hernandez is a suspect in that crime, which happened outside a Boston nightclub. Hernandez's possible involvement in that case had been previously reported by outlets through unnamed law enforcement sources.

Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Teixeira Furtad were killed on July 16, 2012 when someone in an SUV opened fire into their car.

According to the Associated Press' report, an affidavit and search warrant application released by Superior Court in Bristol, Conn., "says there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving the vehicle used in the shooting and 'may have been the shooter.'"

Hernandez was seen in the same nightclub as the victims that night, authorities have said. No charges have been filed in that case yet.

The affidavit was filed when police wanted to search an SUV they believe was involved in the shooting and was found at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, according to the AP. Authorities found that SUV while investigating Lloyd's death.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge in Lloyd's death and is awaiting trial.

- - - - - - -

Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at shutdowncorner@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!

View Comments (24)