Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Shutdown Corner

Report: Richie Incognito threatened Jonathan Martin’s life, used racial slurs on voicemails

Eric Edholm
Shutdown Corner

The Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito story has taken a darker, more bizarre turn.

After the Miami Dolphins suspended Incognito for his role in Martin seeking refuge and leaving the team, new details have emerged in the story. There appears to be some new evidence via threatening and racially-charged voice mails that Incognito left Martin earlier this year. 

They have reportedly been turned over to the NFL. ESPN's Adam Schefter has more:

This story clearly is far from over. With the Dolphins and the league looking into this matter, and talk of a pervasive locker-room culture gone bad in Miami, expect more details to emerge in this ugly affair.

Incognito took to Twitter to defend himself on Sunday, even taking a personal shot at Schefter.

But Incognito, who has a long list of trouble dating back to college, now has bigger concerns. His suspension won't be overturned anytime soon, it appears, and now comes the question of whether he'll play another snap again in the NFL.

Former NFL head coach Tony Dungy appeared on the "Dan Patrick Show" Monday morning and said that the Indianapolis Colts had Incognito on their "DNDC" draft list (do not draft due to character, Dungy explains) in 2005 when Incognito was coming out because of character concerns. Former NFL general manager Scott Pioli said on "NBC Sunday Night" that the New England Patriots had a similar designation for him.


- - - - - - -

Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at edholm@yahoo-inc.com or follow him on Twitter!

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Basketball
View Comments (5947)