Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Calling a reverse: Now Dan Marino wants name off concussion lawsuit vs. the NFL

Marino, Sharpe out, Gonzalez in on CBS pregame
.

View photo

FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2012 file photo, former Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino appears at the AARP convention in New Orleans. Longtime analysts Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe will not return to CBS' "The NFL Today" pregame show. CBS chief Sean McManus said in a statement that "Dan and Shannon are true Hall of Famers on the field and in front of the camera. As they pursue other professional opportunities, we thank them for their hard work and dedication and wish them nothing but the best." (AP Photo/Bill Haber, File)

Dan Marino's inclusion in a concussion-related lawsuit, it turned out, was almost as long as his tenure as the Miami Dolphins' senior vice president of football operations.

The Los Angeles Times reported Monday that Marino was one of 15 players who joined up to sue the NFL over the issue of concussions suffered during their NFL playing careers.

But on Tuesday, Marino apparently had a change of heart. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting that Marino is seeking to remove his name from the suit. The explanation?

“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source told the newspaper.

Got it?

That explanation doesn't really hold water, if Marino — or his legal team — at all have followed the NFL concussion settlement. As a former player, Marino automatically would be eligible to receive settlement money when it is finalized.

Marino could be withdrawn from the lawsuit as soon as Tuesday, per the report, and Marino and his lawyers are trying to figure out how his name was attached to the litigation.

So basically, Marino wanted to be protected financially — and quietly so — without the public backlash. Although many famous players have joined similar lawsuits against the league, Marino's name carries a significant amount of weight because of his Pro Football Hall of Fame playing career and regular TV presence the past 12 years as an analyst on CBS.

Marino played from 1983-99 with the Dolphins, making nine Pro Bowls and being named All-Pro three times. He was hired by the team in 2004 as its senior VP of football operations but stepped down a few weeks later after having second thoughts. Marino was with the CBS pregame show from 2002 through the 2013 season but will not be brought back this coming season.

It is not clear if Marino signed any legal documents that bound him to the lawsuit, but it's clear that he wants out now. There had been some rumblings that Marino was interested in rejoining the Dolphins in some capacity — and some have speculated that is perhaps why he chose to withdraw from the lawsuit.

- - - - - - -

Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at edholm@yahoo-inc.com or follow him on Twitter!

Win cash prizes, pick a fantasy roster for just one day, join in minutes!

Learn how to play

Contest Entries Entry Fee Prizes Starts (EDT)
EPL $20K Nobody Loses 270/10000 $1 $20000 Saturday 10:00 AM Enter
NBA $15K Tournament [$2K to 1st] 432/3410 $5 $15000 Today 8:00 PM Enter
NBA $10K Tournament [$1K to 1st] 46/455 $25 $10000 Today 8:00 PM Enter
View Comments (348)