- Shalise Manza Young at Shutdown Corner7 hrs ago
The very last thing the Dallas Cowboys wanted to happen happened in Thursday night’s preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks: Tony Romo got hurt.
And once again, it’s his back.
It happened on just the third play of the game – on second-and-7, Romo took a short drop out of the shotgun, and rookie Ezekiel Elliott put a good block on K.J. Wright, and Romo tucked and ran. Cliff Avril gave chase, and as Romo tried to awkwardly slide, Avril tackled him from behind.
Romo immediately clutched his back and rolled on the turf. He was slow to get up.
Tony Romo said they didn't do an X-ray. Said felt a sensation of like a stinger in his shoulder right away but went away.
— Brandon George (@DMN_George) August 26, 2016
Tony Romo: "That was probably as tough a hit as I've had on my back the last 5 years."
— Brandon George (@DMN_George) August 26, 2016Thu, Aug 25Dallas17 - 27SeattleGame Recap
- Shalise Manza Young at Shutdown Corner8 hrs ago
A U.S. District court judge on Thursday denied a motion from ESPN and reporter Adam Schefter to dismiss Jason Pierre-Paul’s invasion of privacy lawsuit, paving the way for a potential trial.
As outlinedby Sports Illustrated legal analyst Michael McCann, the ruling by Judge Marcia Cooke was a bench ruling, meaning it was read aloud in court; Cooke will explain her decision in a subsequent written order.
Pierre-Paul’s lawsuit stems from a Schefter tweet on July 8, 2015 that showed a copy of Pierre-Paul’s medical chart and that he had undergone a finger amputation in the wake of his July 4 fireworks accident.
Before Schefter’s tweet, it was known that Pierre-Paul had been in some sort of accident, but the extent was unclear.
The reaction to his post was mostly condemnation, as fans went after Schefter for doing something “unethical” and telling him he should be ashamed. Many also mentioned HIPAA laws, which ensure protection of individuals’ medical information.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner14 hrs ago
Tom Coughlin’s resignation from the New York Giants was an awkward affair. But he and Giants owner John Mara now will be on the same committee together again.
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the out-of-work Coughlin joins two other prominent newcomers to the influential committee.
Along with John Elway and Bruce Arians, former NYG HC Tom Coughlin also has been added to NFL's competition committee, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 25, 2016
Coughlin, who turns 70 next week, led the Giants to two Super Bowl victories but stepped down from the team following the 2015 season under strange circumstances. The divorce couldn’t have been summed up better than in the way the two passed each other at the Giants’ facility after Coughlin gave his farewell speech.
- Frank Schwab at Shutdown Corner14 hrs ago
The NFL has been adding in-game technology for its coaches slowly, from speakers in quarterbacks’ and linebackers’ helmets to tablets on the sideline. It makes sense that the next step is allowing them to view video in game. It’s not like the league hasn’t had the technology for it.
Teams have been allowed to use video in one game this preseason. Everyone should be happy about that, right?
“It helps bad coaches,” Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.
Arians is not a wallflower, so it’s not surprising he’d speak out against video use. And his argument against video use during games — when the regular season starts coaches will still be allowed to only use still photos, so don’t bother tagging your favorite coach on that Vine you made in the first quarter — makes sense. Arians said the video would help offensive coaches more, because offenses rarely run the same play but many blitz packages can be the same.
- Shalise Manza Young at Shutdown Corner15 hrs ago
As a player who was the sixth overall pick in his draft, Barkevious Mingo hasn’t lived up to the expectations that come with being such a lofty selection.
If it wasn’t obvious that the Cleveland Browns weren’t happy with Mingo when they declined to pick up the fifth-year optionon his rookie deal, on Thursday we got crystal-clear proof: the Browns traded him to the New England Patriots.
New England confirmed the trade; Cleveland Plain-Dealer beat writer Mary Kay Cabot reported that the Patriots gave the Browns a 2017 fifth-round pick for Mingo.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport tweeted that Mingo wasn’t a fit for the new Hue Jackson regime in Cleveland.
- Shutdown Corner17 hrs ago
The Seattle Seahawks have been interesting under head coach Pete Carroll. Carroll is known for letting guys be who they are, and some of his players, well, they’ve taken advantage of that approach.
Sherman went after Baldwin after the receiver, who had a league-high 14 touchdowns last season, went past both Sherman and safety Earl Thomas for a score on a go-route down the numbers. The News Tribune’s recap of the “fight” doesn’t sound major, but it was serious enough that Baldwin showed up to the field the next day with a bruise on his forehead and stitches on the bridge of his nose.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner18 hrs ago
On Wednesday, Shutdown Corner’s Frank Schwab did a great job of updating the Joey Bosa situation — namely how the San Diego Chargers made this standoff public and ugly.
And though it has been common for many in the media to slam the team and side with the player, there is one undeniable fact: Bosa doesn’t have a lot of leverage here.
Oh, sure, these are the Chargers we’re talking about, and calling them a well-run organization might not be able to be done with a straight face. The fact that their local stadium issue hovers over them like a pother of California smog doesn’t help public-relations matters either.
- Frank Schwab at Shutdown Corner18 hrs ago
While there are still significant hurdles to clear, it seems obvious that the Oakland Raiders aren’t just playing Las Vegas as a bargaining chip.
All indications are that the Raiders want to move to Las Vegas. The latest is that the Raiders have applied for the “Las Vegas Raiders” trademark with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, according to Forbes. Forbes said the multiple trademark classes the Raiders applied for cover education and entertainment services, clothing, mobile applications, football helmets, trading cards, jewelry and play figures.
This doesn’t mean the Raiders are definitely moving. The NFL would need to approve and there’s the fairly important obstacle of getting a nearly $2 billion stadium built. The Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee planned to meet on Thursday to discuss the possibility of a new stadium for the Raiders.
- Greg Cosell at Shutdown Corner19 hrs ago
You can’t analyze the Denver Broncos’ quarterback situation without first considering how they want to play.
In order for the Broncos to win, certainly early in the season, they have to play a certain way. They have to run the ball and play the same great defense they did last season. Ideally, they want to stay on schedule and in manageable down-and-distance situations, using the run game to do so, and even in difficult third-and-long situations they won’t ask their quarterback to do too much. Third-and-long could end up as a screen to a running back or a bubble screen to a receiver. If they have to punt, that’s OK because they have a really good defense. The Broncos will assume the score will be the same when they get the ball back.
They won’t ask their quarterback to make difficult throws, no matter who ends up being the starter.
Given all of that, I prefer Trevor Siemian to Mark Sanchez at this point (and you can make an argument for rookie first-round pick Paxton Lynch, who we’ll get to in a bit). I’d rather see what Siemian can bring to the table, because I know what Sanchez brings to the table at this point in his career.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner20 hrs ago
Nick Martin, the overwhelming favorite to be the Houston Texans’ starting center as a rookie, is now done for the 2016 season. He underwent ankle surgery and will be placed on injured reserve.
A second-round pick out of Notre Dame, Martin — the brother of Dallas Cowboys All-Pro guard Zack Martin — had looked the part in the early going before suffering the injury and serious damage to his ankle during a joint practice with the New Orleans Saints two weeks ago. Martin also had been slowed by a back injury, although that was believed to be less serious.
Although he had not played in either preseason game, Martin projected to start. Head coach Bill O’Brien extolled the rookie’s toughness, intelligence and athleticism.