- Frank Schwab at Shutdown Corner2 hrs ago
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is under a lot of scrutiny and pressure after sitting for the national anthem as part of a political statement. He has said he understands the possible ramifications. He has played long enough to be secure financially if this ends up negatively impacting his career.
Philadelphia Eagles rookie linebacker Myke Tavarres might share Kaepernick’s feelings on how black people are treated in the United States, and he said he wanted to join in the protest, but his agent talked him out of sitting down like Kaepernick.
Tavarres, who was undrafted out of Incarnate Word but most Eagles writers have said has a shot at the 53-man roster, initially said on Monday he’d join the protest and sit during the national anthem. He said he thought about doing it last week.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner3 hrs ago
The Cleveland Browns traded punter Andy Lee to the Carolina Panthers, but this isn’t your everyday punter trade.
First of all, the timing is fascinating. Not on the Panthers’ end; their expected punter, Mike Scifres, suffered a knee injury against the New England Patriots and had to leave the game. But for the Browns, they could not have enjoyed watching Lee, their former Pro Bowl punter, completely dog it on a 73-yard punt return touchdown by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ Adam Humphries.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner4 hrs ago
The Colin Kaepernick controversy has stirred up quite the discussion. Even two brothers, one of whom coached Kaepernick, took slightly different tacks on the matter.
Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh was asked about Kaepernick’s refusal to stand for the national anthem on Friday and his intention to continue doing so. Harbaugh then went all Age of Enlightenment on us, via ESPN.com.
- Shalise Manza Young at Shutdown Corner5 hrs ago
The torrent of opinions on Colin Kaepernick’s decision not to stand for the National Anthem as a silent protest to racial injustice in the United States has not yet begun to slow, and Monday we saw NFL players on both sides of the discussion weigh in.
In Miami, Dolphins running back Arian Foster was supportive of Kaepernick, particularly his reasoning behind his protest, though Foster said he wouldn’t have taken the tack Kaepernick has chosen.
Like many African-Americans, Foster can point to at least one incident of racial profiling.
As a teenager, Foster and his father were driving north on Interstate 5 between San Diego and Los Angeles when they were pulled over.
- Frank Schwab at Shutdown Corner5 hrs ago
Joey Bosa won’t be re-entering the 2017 draft after all. His holdout didn’t even last through the fourth preseason game.
The San Diego Chargers announced they’ve signed Bosa, the Ohio State defensive end who was the third pick of this year’s draft, to a four-year contract. That came a week after the holdout included some public angst from both sides, and it looked like Bosa and the team were further apart than ever.Sun, Aug 28San Diego10 - 23MinnesotaGame Recap
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner7 hrs ago
The Dallas Cowboys say they’ll look for veteran quarterback help to back up Dak Prescott while Tony Romo is out.
Prescott will be a Week 1 starter after Romo was knocked out of the Cowboys’ preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks with a broken bone in his back. It’s not known how much time Romo will miss, but estimates say it could be half the season. The Cowboys have yet to decide whether to place Romo on injured reserve, with the option to bring him back later in the season.
- Henry Bushnell at Shutdown Corner8 hrs ago
Two weeks before the 2015 NFL draft, on a blustery mid-April morning, I sat across from Trevor Siemian in the lobby of McGaw Hall, just across the way from Northwestern University football’s ragged yet cozy home, Ryan Field. Siemian’s hair was unkempt, his stubble at least a day old.
In his own monotone words, Siemian admitted to being a “fringe” NFL prospect. He was less than five months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL. “I’m not Todd Gurley, who’s got a knee [injury], but knows he’s gonna be going somewhere,” Siemian said.
After the interview, as Siemian rose to his feet with a slightly pained exhale, I asked him how his rehab was going, how his knee was feeling. He needed just three words to answer:
“I feel old.”
Seventeen months later, Siemian is the starting quarterback for the defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos. He’s the heir to one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. And he’s one of the unlikeliest Week 1 starters the league has ever seen.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner8 hrs ago
The defending Super Bowl champions will open the season with a quarterback who has one regular-season snap’s worth of experience.
Trevor Siemian has beaten out Mark Sanchez and first-round pick Paxton Lynch for the Denver Broncos’ starting job, the team announced on Monday. It will be Siemian against league MVP Cam Newton in a Super Bowl rematch of the Broncos and Carolina Panthers on opening night of the NFL’s regular season.
The writing appeared to be on the wall after Siemian started the team’s third preseason game and did nothing to lose the job. Sanchez’s snaps and play were in decline after a two-fumble performance in the Broncos’ second preseason game.
Siemian was the 250th overall pick in the 2015 draft and earned a Super Bowl ring as the No. 3 quarterback behind Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler. When Manning got hurt last November, Siemian was elevated to No. 2 — and earned one end-of-half kneel-down snap against the Pittsburgh Steelers late in the regular season.
- Shalise Manza Young at Shutdown Corner9 hrs ago
One of the low-key stranger stories of last week has taken another turn.
In case you’ve forgotten, since it came before Colin Kaepernick and Tony Romo: last Wednesday morning, news came that the New England Patriots were releasing center Bryan Stork, who started Super Bowl XLIX for the team as a rookie.
But once that news was out there, the Washington Redskins reached out to New England, seeing if the two could work out a trade without Stork hitting the waiver wire. And they did, for a conditional seventh-round 2017 draft pick.
- Eric Edholm at Shutdown Corner10 hrs ago
Paul Kruger likely knew his time was coming with the Cleveland Browns when he saw the flurry of moves the team made in the offseason that directly affected his livelihood. That gave him ample time to craft a proper goodbye to the team that has employed him the past three seasons.
Kruger, 30, was released by the Browns on Monday as the first big wave of roster cuts started. He signed a big-money deal prior to the 2013 season and never fulfilled his expectations.
Here’s what Kruger had to say on his way out of town:
— Paul Kruger (@pkruger99) August 29, 2016
So there you have it — thankful but disappointed in how he was used. Cutting Kruger saves the Browns (and likely costs Kruger) millions, so that could have a lot to do with his disappointment.