Satellite camp ban is keeping Marcus Lattimore off SC's staff

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The NCAA’s ban on satellite camps has had a profound effects on many people involved in high school and college football, including former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore.

Last week, The State reported that Lattimore was not allowed to join coach Will Muschamp’s South Carolina staff as a paid employee because his status as a former player gave South Carolina an unfair recruiting advantage.

However, Lattimore told The State another reason he wasn’t allowed to accept the staff position was because he runs youth football camps in South Carolina through his foundation.

“Well, anybody in athletics cannot do football camps. It’s as simple as that,” Lattimore told TheState.com. “There was no getting around that rule. I just really had to make a decision on, ‘Do I want to be tied to one thing, or do I want to help all the youth in this state?’”

Lattimore has been running The Marcus Lattimore Foundation, which helps South Carolina youth through football camps, since his NFL career ended and he re-enrolled at South Carolina. Lattimore is scheduled to graduate on May 6 and then he was set to join Muschamp’s staff until the NCAA’s fateful ruling.

Lattimore issued a statement Monday explaining the situation:

“To clarify the situation concerning the NCAA, I will not be working for USC athletics. I have a non-profit (The Marcus Lattimore Foundation) that caters directly to student-athletes. I have a business (football camps) that focuses on the sports performance element of athletes with plans of opening a facility in the upstate. I also work with a few companies that directly help our youth in this great state. I was not aware of the compliance issues that would arise with me taking a position in athletics. I was honored when coach Muschamp offered me a position and I will always be around when the guys in that locker room need me. Although I would love to be a part of the new era of Gamecock football, I have to honor my commitment to our youth. The NCAA ruling is fair and I will fully comply. Thanks to everyone for your continued support. God bless!”

Lattimore is the Gamecocks' all-time leader in rushing touchdowns. However, he suffered a gruesome knee injury in 2012, which ended his college career. He was selected in the fourth round by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2013 draft, but he never played in the league and retired in 2014.

For more South Carolina news, visit GamecockCentral.com.

- - - - -

Graham Watson is the editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at dr.saturday@ymail.com or follow her on Twitter!

And don’t forget to keep up with all of Graham’s thoughts, witty comments and college football discussions on Facebook