Berry's attorney R. William Meeks told the Columbus Dispatch that Berry had been dismissed from the program but is still enrolled and will remain on scholarship at least until the end of the quarter.
OSU spokesman Jerry Emig confirmed this information stating that while Berry is still on scholarship, he is not working out with the team and has not been involved with the team since last October.
Berry is currently trying to avoid trial for a misdemeanor assault case after a 21-year-old victim reported that Berry hit him with a closed fist and caused injuries to his head, face, neck, back and hand near a parking garage on Oct. 21. Jerich filed a civil suit back in November charging assault and battery and ethnic intimidation. He was seeking at least $25,000 in compensatory damages and an equal amount in punitive damages.
Last September, Berry was taken to the OSU Medical Center emergency after he was accused of attacking another student while in a state of delirium. He missed one game, but was reinstated the following week.
Other than an arrest for marijuana possession back in 2009 — before he enrolled at Ohio State — Berry had not had any run-ins with the law before the November arrest, though he hardly lived up to his blue-chip billing as a recruit: In three seasons, Berry rushed 35 times for 271 yards and a touchdown. He also averaged 24.4 yards on 28 kickoff returns.
Meeks told the paper that he didn't think his client was guilty of assault and gave the likelihood of the case going trial "50-50."
- William Meeks