Brock DeCicco has seen a lot of coaches since his days playing for Pitt in 2010. ( J. Meric/Getty Images)
Wisconsin tight end Brock DeCicco has seen it all. When Gary Andersen was hired by the Badgers last December, he became the seventh – seventh! – head coach that the Pennsylvania native has played under in his five years of college football.
- Committed to Pitt and Dave Wannstedt, red-shirting during the 2009 season and then playing in 13 games in 2010.
- After Wannstedt was forced to resign and declined to coach in the postseason, defensive coordinator Phil Bennett was named interim head coach for the BBVA Compass Bowl.
- On December 17, Mike Haywood hired as head coach. The only problem was, Haywood was jailed on a charge of domestic violence and fired 17 days later.
- Enter Tulsa head coach Todd Graham on January 11, giving DeCicco his fourth head coach in just over a month.
- DeCicco then transferred to Wisconsin, where he played under Bret Bielema…
- …until Bielema left for the Arkansas job in December 2012, which led to former Badger head coach and current Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez taking over for the Rose Bowl.
- And finally, DeCicco finds himself playing under Andersen, head coach number seven.
Got all of that? If you want another layer of crazy, Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst – known for utilizing tight ends - became Pitt’s head coach in 2011 after Graham left for the Arizona State job. All of this just means that if any of DeCicco’s teammates are having trouble with the transition to a new coach and staff, they have a very experienced resource to turn to.
Is DeCicco’s total of seven head coaches a record? It’s tough to tell, although focusing on players who were on the Pittsburgh roster in December of 2010 (four head coaches in six weeks!) is a great place to start, and it seems like DeCicco is the champ from that pool. If he wants to carry around a Most Head Coaches championship belt, I think he's earned it.
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Dave Wannstedt
- Gary Andersen
- Mike Haywood