The NCAA thought better of passing a rule that would have banned teams from wearing the same color as the field they play on. Although the rule would have affected any team wanting to wear all green on normal green turf, this rule was very transparently aimed at Boise State.
The Mountain West had banned Boise from wearing its all-blues the last two seasons. When Boise insisted as a condition of it staying in the Mountain West that the all-blue uniforms be allowed again and the conference agreed, the NCAA proposed a rule that would ban it.
Well, don't worry. The NCAA didn't pass the rule, "citing concerns that it did not enhance the image of the game." Boise State will be back in blue.
Coaches who complained about this in the first place are probably better off worrying about more important things, like formulating a plan to beat the Broncos. The blue turf is part of the charm of college football, and so are the Broncos' blue jerseys on it.
The NCAA passed some rules. The most important is that players who target defenseless players above the shoulder will be ejected. The punishment will be enforced like it is for fighting. If the foul happens in the first half the player is ejected for the rest of that game; if it's in the second half he misses the rest of that game and the first half of the next one. The ejection part of the rule will be reviewable on video replay.
Some other notable rules:
• There must be at least three seconds on the clock for a team to spike the ball before the end of the half.
• A player who changes numbers during the game must report it to the official, aka The Lane Kiffin Rule.
• Also concerning uniforms: "Jerseys must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8 and 10 inches in height front and back, respectively, and be of one solid color that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey, irrespective of any border around the number."
College basketball video from Yahoo! Sports:
Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
• NFL's new free-agency negotiating window causing tension
• How Indiana began wearing its trademark candy-striped warmup pants
• Don't bury the Big East tournament yet
• Team USA stumbles at World Baseball Classic, loses opener to Mexico
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Boise State