Louisville may be the top No. 1 seed in this year's NCAA tournament, but the Cardinals still have a lot of work to do when it comes to being the most "liked" team in their own bracket.
[Related: Louisville looks like NCAA tourney favorite]
Our good friends at Facebook have been slicing and dicing some tourney-specific data for us all day long and what you see above is the breakdown of team popularity when it comes to the Midwest Region. Facebook tabulated the number of likes for each team in the region and then awarded each county in the United States to the school with the most number of likes in that county. As you can see, Louisville owns an expected stronghold in Kentucky and southern Indiana, but it's clearly a Duke world in a majority of the country.
We've attached maps for the remaining three regions below so you can see where your team stacks up as well as some other cool Facebook data from Selection Sunday. We'll be featuring Facebook-driven data all tourney long on The Dagger so if there's a specific breakdown you'd like to see, let us know in the comments below.
Some additional data points ...
• Mentions of “selection Sunday” were up 6,760 percent, compared to the average number of mentions made over the last few days.
• Mentions of "Louisville" were up 2,260 percent at 6 p.m. ET.
• Mentions of “Miami” were especially jumping, up 1,100 percent.
• Mentions of “Duke” were also breaking out from the average, up 175 percent.
Top 10 teams overall based on mentions on Sunday:
2. Ohio State
Top 10 conferences by mentions:
1. Big East
2. Big 12
4. West Coast
5. Mountain West
6. Pac 12
8. Big Sky
9. Big West
10. Ohio Valley
Top 10 teams, seeded 13-16, based on mentions:
5. La Salle
8. Western Kentucky
9. Boise State
10. Northwestern State
The top 10 terms related to March Madness, by total volume of mentions on Sunday, were:
6. March Madness
8. Sweet 16
9. Selection Sunday
10. College Basketball
More NCAA tourney content from Yahoo! Sports:
• How to win your office bracket pool
• Kentucky leads list of NCAA tourney snubs
• One of these eight teams will cut down the nets in Atlanta
• Saint Louis, UNC among sneaky picks for your bracket
- Sports & Recreation