Tourney-bound: New Mexico (25-3), BYU (25-3)
They've got work to do: UNLV, San Diego State
UNLV (20-7, 8-5, RPI: 43)
• Marquee wins: at New Mexico, BYU, Louisville, San Diego State
• Bad losses: Utah (twice), USC
• Remaining schedule: TCU, at Air Force, Wyoming
• Outlook: Three straight losses earlier this month put UNLV behind San Diego State in the Mountain West standings, making their NCAA tournament hopes more precarious. The Rebels should be fine as long as they win their final three regular-season games against three of the worst teams in their league, but even one slip-up could make their position extremely dicey.
San Diego State (20-7, 9-4, RPI: 39)
• Marquee wins: New Mexico, UNLV
• Bad losses: at Wyoming, at Pacific
• Remaining schedule: at BYU, Colorado State, at Air Force
• Outlook: If San Diego State is going to be a realistic at-large candidate, the Aztecs probably need to win their final three regular season games including Wednesday's road test at BYU. One loss, and San Diego State would have to make a run to the Mountain West tournament title game to even give themselves a shred of hope at an at-large berth in the NCAA tournament.
- San Diego State
- New Mexico