Florida State forward Terrance Shannon was carried off the court on a stretcher Saturday (USA Today Sports Ima …
1. One of the scariest sights during Saturday's hoops slate was Florida State's Terrance Shannon being taken off the floor via stretcher late in the Seminoles' loss to Virginia after a head-first collision with Cavalier forward Evan Nolte. Thankfully, the news on Shannon is fairly positive. The junior is suffering from a sprained neck and he was released from a Charlottesville hospital on Sunday after tests came back good.
2. Even though Butler has beaten Dayton, Richmond and eighth-ranked Gonzaga without Rotnei Clarke, the Bulldogs undoubtedly will be better off once their leading scorer returns from the scary neck injury he suffered earlier this month. According to CBSSports.com, the tentative target date for Clarke is next Saturday against Temple, assuming he remains symptom-free from now until then.
3. It wasn't exactly the emphatic bounce-back performance Indiana fans were hoping for, but the Hoosiers did respond to their home loss to Wisconsin with a road victory, no easy feat in the Big Ten. Cody Zeller had 21 points and 15 rebounds as Indiana held off a late Northwestern rally to eke out a 67-59 victory. One concern though: What has happened to the Hoosiers' bench? Two points against Wisconsin. Six at Northwestern, all from Will Sheehey.
4. After NC State escaped with a 66-62 home win over previously struggling Clemson, point guard Lorenzo Brown expressed his disgust with the Wolfpack's inability to put the Tigers away sooner. "We didn’t play our best, I’m not very excited about that," Brown told the Raleigh News & Observer. "I mean, who would (be)?" Indeed NC State will have to better to contend in the ACC. The Wolfpack needed six straight points from Richard Howell including a go-head 3-point play to secure the win.
5. From behind-the-scenes videos, to highlight clips, to trick shot montages, few programs across the country do a better job marketing via social media than Duke basketball. The Blue Devils ramped up their efforts to communicate directly to fans even further last week with the redesigned DukeBluePlanet.com, a one-stop shop for anything from photos and video of members of the current team to clips from past Duke teams.
The action in the stands in Gainesville on Saturday was more exciting than on the court during Florida's 83-52 victory over Missouri. Check out the flash mob Florida's student section performed during a first-half timeout.
"It was my turn." -- Roosevelt Jones on Butler's history of remarkable game-winning shots under Brad Stevens. Jones, of course, added to that history on Saturday night with his in-bound pass steal and go-ahead floater at the buzzer to stun Gonzaga. (ESPN.com)
• Cincinnati at Syracuse, 3:30 p.m. EST
• Oklahoma State at Baylor, 5:30 p.m. EST
• Wright State at Detroit, 7 p.m. EST
• Georgetown at Notre Dame, 7:30 p.m. EST
• Texas at Oklahoma, 9:30 p.m. EST
- Sports & Recreation