When Ex-Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl walked onto the floor at Memphis Madness clad in an orange tie and orange suspenders, the response from the 18,000 Tigers fans in attendance was about what you'd expect. Pearl was booed, loudly and resoundingly. Thankfully for Pearl, Memphis coach Josh Pastner was there to rescue him by providing a more fan-friendly outfit. Pastner handed Pearl a zip-up Memphis jacket and the ESPNU analyst put it on, drawing cheers and applause from the approving crowd. The skit was clearly hastily planned once Memphis officials discovered Pearl was going to be on site considering deputy athletic director Wren Baker put out a call for a Memphis blue blazer minutes before the start of the event. Regardless, it was a funny moment. Credit Pearl and Pastner for playing along.
More from the Best of Midnight Madness series:
• Michigan State shoots 'Tom Izzo' out of a cannon
• Georgia coach Mark Fox dons Spike Squad paint again
• Cincinnati holds its Midday Madness on an outdoor court
• Buzz Williams pokes fun at West Virginia with 'Country Roads' entrance
• Buzz Williams' moving tribute to sixth-year senior Chris Otule
• From dancing to dunks, Andrew Wiggins dazzles in Kansas debut
• Charles Barkley coaxed into dancing at Auburn
• Indiana's Hanner Mosquera-Perea slams two balls on the same dunk
• Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon as Duck Dynasty's 'Uncle Si'
• Luke Hager leaps over UNC Wilmington's chancellor
• Florida State QB Jameis Winston delivers mid-court alley-oop pass
- - - - - - -