Kevin Garnett learns that Blake Griffin mocked his facial hair (Stephen Dunn/ Getty).
It's no secret that Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett is an intense guy, the sort of veteran who holds grudges for years and considers opponents as challengers to his spot rather than adversaries in a friendly competition. Garnett always looks for an edge, and sometimes that means he reacts a little crazily to fairly small slights.
In some cases, though, that motivation is perfectly justified. At nearly 36, Garnett is at an advanced age for an NBA big man, but he still manages to be pretty effective. Not surprisingly, calling him old only makes him want to win more. From A. Sherrod Blakely for CSNNE.com (via PBT):
"I'm motivated," said Garnett, who will be 36 in May. "I hear y'all calling me old. I hear y'all calling me older, weathered. It don't really take much to motivate me. I'm older in basketball years, but in life I'm 30-something."
As I said above, I think it's perfectly sensible for Garnett to be motivated by naysayers who think he no longer has what it takes to be a top-flight player. What's curious, though, is that Garnett reacts just as boldly to far less important things. Here are just 10 of them:
1. Getting mayo on his sandwich when he asked for it on the side.
2. When people pronounce his last name "garnet" instead of "Garnett."
3. When everyone splits a restaurant bill evenly instead of only paying for what they ordered.
4. Being stuck in traffic behind an old lady with her turn signal on.
5. When the hotel concierge gives him his wake-up call two minutes early.
6. Getting a case of Diet Coke when he asked for Coke Zero.
7. When his DVR records "Basketball Wives" but not the reunion special.
8. Buying a new phone even though the salesman didn't tell him a new model was coming out two weeks later.
9. Finding out his new shoes aren't waterproof when the description totally said they were.
10. When Rajon Rondo eats his cereal without asking.
There you have it. Kevin Garnett is the NBA's own Larry David.
- Kevin Garnett