Strong High-Five Fundamentals: Fig. 1. (Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports)
It's just a touch less serious in tone than Paul Pierce's "Being Introduced To Brooklyn By American Express" mini-doc that debuted earlier in the week, but this new Deron Williams-helmed Brooklyn Nets video works pretty well, too:
Six quick thoughts:
1. It's pretty great that we envision it as a hilariously unthinkable (and thus perfect) joke premise that an NBA basketball team would wear short shorts in 2013 when the Los Angeles Lakers did it for real in 2007.
2. Similarly, we are not that far removed from Shaun Livingston actually playing with an Afro. There aren't very many players still active who can say that — Kobe Bryant, Andre Miller, Tim Duncan, et. al. — and given the size of the puff Livingston used to rock, he'd likely have a better understanding than any of them of how to account for all that drag in the open court. Could be valuable should this old-school reversion ever really come to pass.
[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Basketball: Create or join a league in seconds]
3. This is the most time Tyshawn Taylor has spent on camera since Kansas. Big up yourself, power agent Jeff Schwartz (who also represents Williams and Paul Pierce), for getting the young guy some light.
4. It seems like even more of a shame that Ray Allen's no longer riding as part of the Big Three. We know he looks good in an Afro wig, at least.
5. I'm fairly certain the Nets could have made that whole "replace us with old white guys, we'll go play dodgeball" switch at halftime on Tuesday and still beat the visiting Utah Jazz by 10. Especially if Jamaal Tinsley was still patrolling the perimeter and the Jazz bigs were still this confused about who was supposed to pick up the ball.
6. The absence of Brook Lopez, Kevin Garnett and Reggie Evans in this spot is regrettable, to say the least; one can only hope there's some footage of them lying around on the cutting-room floor that can find its way to these Internet streets sooner rather than later.
Hat-tip to friend of the program Devin Kharpertian at The Brooklyn Game.
- - - - - - -
- Sports & Recreation
- Brooklyn Nets
- Paul Pierce
- Shaun Livingston
- Los Angeles Lakers