It's craziness out in Las Vegas right now. You can't swing a dead cat without bouncing it off a NASCAR driver. Charity events, autograph signings, photo ops -- they're everywhere. And on Wednesday afternoon, they all gathered at Las Vegas Motor Speedway for a game of "Speedway Feud." (Get it? It's like "Family Feud," only they're not really family ... see?)
Part of the Chasers for Charity Fanfest, the competition pitted two teams of six drivers apiece against one another. Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch matched wits against Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Carl Edwards, Clint Bowyer, Greg Biffle and Jeff Burton. Local comedian Kevin Burke presided over the ceremonies; no word on whether he demanded kisses from each of the contestants, Richard Dawson-style.
The questions were derived from a variety of surveys. And as NASCAR.com noted, there were some revelations. One of the earliest questions, from a survey of crew chiefs, was, "What current driver would you least like to have racing your driver for the win on the final lap?" Kyle Busch was the first to answer, and naturally, he answered "Kyle Busch." And guess what? He was right!
• Name the non-Chase driver who has the best chance of making the Chase next year. (No. 1 answer: Jamie McMurray. We would agree.)
• Which driver do media people say gives the best interview? (No. 1 answer: Jeff Burton)
• Name a famous finish in NASCAR history. (No. 1 answer: Darlington, 2003 -- Kurt Busch and Ricky Craven in the tightest finish in NASCAR history. Also agree.)
• Which NASCAR driver would be most suitable to appear on The Bachelor? (No. 1 answer: Kasey Kahne. What, no Junior?)
• Which driver from the past would you most like to drive one of your cars today? (No. 1 answer: Dale Earnhardt. Of course.)
Kyle's team walloped the Johnson armada, for what that's worth.
One unanswered question, though: all 12 Chase drivers were in attendance, but only the top 10 get invited to the banquet. So does that mean Kurt Busch and Jeff Burton are going to have to go find a casino buffet somewhere?
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- Kyle Busch
- Kurt Busch