Two of these drivers are in the top 10. The third isn't far away. (Getty)
While Jimmie Johnson is putting a whupping on the field – his lead is 75 points over second place Clint Bowyer – there wasn't any separation amidst the drivers fighting for the final Chase berths after Indianapolis.
It actually got closer. Thanks to mix of finishes, the gap between 8th and 13th place is now just a dozen points. And Ryan Newman, Sunday's winner, is still on the outside of the Chase.
9. Kasey Kahne, -1 point to Biffle: Kahne's third place finishes moves him up a spot in the standings. While that's nice, it really doesn't mean much given how stacked together everyone in this vicinity is.
10. Jeff Gordon, -6 points: This is Gordon's first time in the top 10 since a brief appearance in 8th place after Phoenix. He finished 7th on Sunday.
11. Tony Stewart, -7 points: While Gordon has to worry about being in the top 10, Stewart's Dover win has him in line for the first Wild Card. Because of that, he doesn't have to spend as much time as Gordon does looking in the rear-view. Though Newman's win may change that.
12. Martin Truex Jr., -11 points: Going from 38th to 11th is an incredible accomplishment at a track like Indianapolis where it can be hard to pass. He's Wild Card No. 2 at the moment.
13. Brad Keselowski, -12 points: Brad is our biggest faller of the week after finishing 21st on Sunday and falling four positions. The Wild Card is of no use, yet, because Keselowski doesn't have a win.
14. Kurt Busch, -19 points: This is also where Busch finished on Sunday. As such, he didn't make up any spots in the points.
15. Jamie McMurray, -28 points: This is also where Jamie McMurray finished. Insert the second sentence about Kurt Busch here as well.
16. Ryan Newman, -31 points: 20 is the number for Newman at this point. That's the amount of points that separates him from Truex and the second Wild Card.
17. Aric Almirola, -36 points: Oh for heaven's sake, this is also where Almirola finished on Sunday. Though he moved down a spot in the standings.
18. Joey Logano, -41 points: Logano's top 10 run was rewarded aptly, but at 18th and 41 points behind 8th, that's not going to help make up a bunch of ground in a single race.
- Sports & Recreation
- Motor Racing
- Ryan Newman
- Greg Biffle
- Jeff Gordon
- Kasey Kahne