The 2012 Izod IndyCar Series schedule was released on Thursday and while it does contain Texas Motor Speedway, it also contains a date TBA.
Of the 15 confirmed races, 11 are on street and road courses and four are on ovals. The Series returns to Auto Club Speedway on September 15, as well as Texas Motor Speedway, Iowa Speedway, and of course, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. IndyCar had previously announced that it wasn't returning to Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where Dan Wheldon died in a crash, on October 16.
Last year's event at Texas Motor Speedway was a doubleheader, with each race counting for half points and the second race's starting grid being determined by a contrived lottery between the races. That format has been scrapped, and Texas will once again host one 550 kilometer race after the Indianapolis 500.
IndyCar will also make a visit to Qingdao, China, the first time the series has ever held a race in the country. IndyCar also returns to Sao Paulo, Brazil and Toronto and Edmonton.
- March 25: Streets of St. Petersburg (1.8-mile street course)
- April 1: Barber Motorsports Park (2.3-mile road course)
- April 15: Streets of Long Beach (1.968-mile street course)
- April 29: Streets of Sao Paulo (2.536-mile street course)
- May 27: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
- June 3: Raceway at Belle Isle Park (2.1-mile street course)
- June 9: Texas Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
- June 23: Iowa Speedway (.875-mile oval)
- July 8: Streets of Toronto (1.755-mile street course)
- July 22: Edmonton City Centre Airport (1.973-mile airport course)
- Aug. 5: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (2.258-mile road course)
- Aug. 19: Streets of Qingdao, China (3.87-mile street course)
- Aug. 26: Infineon Raceway (2.303-mile road course)
- Sept. 2: Streets of Baltimore (2-mile street course)
- Sept. 15: Auto Club Speedway (2-mile oval)