I've been an awfully good MMA fan this year. I've faithfully followed the sport, watching every fighter from Al-Turk to Yoshida. I've read everything I could get my hands on about the sport, Kevin Iole, Dave Meltzer, Cage Potato, MMA Junkie, Fightlinker. I've even cracked a few books on the subject. (Well, maybe not every book.) I've spent money on pay-per-views, clothes and other MMA goodies. When the UFC came to my hometown, I patronized. So, Santa, will you put me on the nice list and give me what I ask for?
1. Two five-round fights on Dec. 27. The UFC is giving fans a rare treat, two championship bouts in one night. So Santa, can Evans vs. Griffin and Nogueira vs. Mir go the full 25 minutes each? I realize that's unlikely, particularly with Nog-Mir, but can you at least make it happen in the Evans-Griffin bout?
2. Silva vs. GSP. I realize that GSP already has a fight lined up with another great fighter from another weight class, but the matchup between Silva and GSP is much more interesting to me. Without the UFC bringing in talented middleweights like Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Gegard Mousasi, Silva is not going to find good competition within his weight class. GSP could be the man to beat Silva, or at least give him an interesting bout.
3. More MMA on television. With Elite XC busting, there is only NBC's half hour of Strikeforece on free TV, and only what Zuffa deigns to show us on Spike and Versus. For the lucky who have HD Net, you can catch some more, but it's not enough. We need a home for women's MMA on TV, as well as more free fights with big names. It could grow fanbase so that there will be more pay-per-view buys.
4. A leather, special-edition Coach duffle bag. I know that the auction is over, but you're Santa. Make it happen.
5. Peace on Earth. I don't want to be greedy.
Santa, thanks for thinking of me. Tell Mrs. Claus I said hello.