Dana White released his first video blog for the card on FX today. One interesting scene includes the UFC president dealing with the withdrawal of Mark Munoz from the UFC on Fox 2 card. White is getting ready to release news of the new Chael Sonnen-Michael Bising fight and says the winner will get a title shot against the currently sidelined UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva.
White must know something Sonnen doesn't because the outspoken contender sounds pretty sure he'll never face Silva.
"I'm not going to fight Anderson either way. They can say whatever they want. Anderson is never going to do that fight," Sonnen told "The MMA Insiders" show last week on Las Vegas' ESPN1100/98.9 FM. "I hope he's healthy and has a good life, but I'm not buying into this mythical world that Anderson is going to some day sign a contract to fight me."
During today's UFC on Fox 2 conference call, Sonnen reiterated his theory and said Silva turned down the fight to their boss' face.
"He even said no to (UFC executive) Lorenzo Fertitta's face. Face-to-face, not over the phone — Lorenzo brought him out, sat him down, and said, 'This is the fight we want.' And Anderson said no," said Sonnen.
Sonnen knows management isn't pleased and questions the severity of Silva's back and shoulder injuries.
"They're not happy about it. The message to Anderson was this ' Chael is the opponent for you. You can fight him or you can't fight nobody. He elected to fight nobody,'" said Sonnen. "Dan Henderson said it perfectly, if the right opponent comes up, all of Anderson's injuries will go away."
Silva's next opponent will be known next Saturday night. A date and location is completely up in the air until Silva announces when he can officially return.
- Sports & Recreation
- Sports & Recreation/Martial Arts
- Anderson Silva