That's why it was surprising to hear him say that he was going to limit the amount of media interviews he would do heading into the biggest bout of his life, the heavyweight championship bout with Brock Lesnar at UFC 116 on July 3. He said he would do media if done through the proper channels — going through a UFC PR rep — and then would answer questions on his own website. Though this is reasonable, it wasn't the same open-access policy Carwin had in the past.
Now he says that the UFC is saying he's not doing enough to "sell the fight."
According to the Zuffa "Talking Heads" I am not doing my part to sell this fight. Let's talk about me selling this fight. I earned this fight. I was "given" my previous opportunity against Brock but this one I earned. I was asked to train for Cain and I began my camp. I was then told Cain is not the opponent; I am being bumped up to Lesnar. Then I begin training for Lesnar to only have him pull out of the fight TWICE. His "miracle recovery" underway, I was told I am going to have to face Frank Mir to earn the opportunity to face Brock (something I had already been given and taken away now twice). So for those of you confused by the fact that I somehow am fighting Brock because I talked crap or played some hype man you are wrong. I earned this fight and this opportunity. I have never turned down a fight, I have never told Zuffa no, I have and always do a good job and for them.
Lesnar vs. Carwin is a fight that sells itself. Though Lesnar is a mastermind of trash talk, it's not Carwin's style. He said he wants to let his fists do the talking. Considering that he's a fighter, there is nothing wrong with that.