In early April, Overeem's pre-fight random drug test raised red flags with the NAC, who will administer the May fight in Las Vegas. His testosterone levels were well above the approved levels. He is scheduled to to appear before the NAC on Tuesday.
The ongoing question after Overeem's troubles arose was who would replace him on such an important card. This is dos Santos' first title defense since beating Cain Velasquez for the belt in November. Overeem earned the title shot by defeating Brock Lesnar in December.
Though a vocal group of fans pushed for Mark Hunt, who is fighting Stefan Struve at UFC 146, Mir was always the best option. He would not have to change much to prepare for the bout since he was already scheduled to fight Cain Velasquez. Mir won his last three bouts, including a memorable submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 140.
Related video on Yahoo! Sports:
Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
• Philadelphia Phillies short on firepower, wins without Ryan Howard, Chase Utley
• Trades for high NFL draft picks discussed more than previous years
• Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury pulls out all the stops in Game 5
• Rick Pitino names racehorses after two of his Louisville players
- Martial Arts
- Sports & Recreation
- Alistair Overeem
- Frank Mir
- Junior dos Santos
- Nevada Athletic Commission
- Cain Velasquez