Cagewriter

  • 'Cyborg' cleared by USADA, becomes eligible to fight immediately

    Kevin Iole at Cagewriter 1 day ago

    Cris “Cyborg” Justino will soon get the opportunity to fight for the championship of the division that was created for her.

    The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency granted Justino a retroactive therapeutic use exemption on Friday, paving the way for the hard-hitting Brazilian to start to challenge for the women’s featherweight title.

    On Dec. 5, Justino failed an out-of-competition test given to her by USADA, testing positive for Spironolactone, which is banned at all times by the World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited list in the category of diuretics and masking agents.

    But upon the news becoming public, Justino said she had been prescribed medication by a doctor which caused the positive result.

    USADA’s statement:

  • Four possible opponents for Georges St-Pierre's return fight

    Franklin McNeil at Cagewriter 1 day ago

    With his contract now official after ironing out some details, it’s safe to assume former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will step inside the Octagon sometime in 2017.

    St-Pierre is eager to fight and UFC officials are excited to have him back. But finalizing a deal won’t resolve all issues. For example, will St-Pierre compete at 170 pounds or move to middleweight? And who should he face in his return?

    Finding a fighter willing to step in against St-Pierre is easy. It’s a big-money bout and a victory will immediately alter the opponent’s standing in the MMA circle.

    The lucky winner of the St-Pierre sweepstakes, however, must meet certain criteria: He must be a current contender or titleholder at welterweight or middleweight. He must have high name recognition — this is, by the way, a high-profile bout.

    With this in mind, here are the four most likely fighters to get the call from UFC officials:

  • Cornerman saves fighter after referee misses blatant submission

    Mackenzie Liddell at Cagewriter 1 day ago

    A cornerman was forced to take matters into his own hands and save his fighter after a referee missed a blatant submission during a Super Fight League event in India on Friday.

    The disturbing incident took place when Asha Roka locked in a guillotine on Hannah Kampf early in the first round. Kampf’s body went limp seconds after Roka applied the choke, but it wasn’t until nearly 20 seconds later that Kampf’s cornerman entered the ring and stopped the fight himself.

    Kampf did show some movement shortly after going out, but it’s clear she wasn’t defending herself and the referee horribly misjudged the situation.

    Check out the scary incident in the clip below:

    SFL – The referee was sleeping – Asha Roka /Sher-E-Punjab/ 1R guillotine (vs. Hanna Kamf /Bengaluru Tigers/ pic.twitter.com/wpJbSp0FsQ

    — Jolassanda (@Jolassanda) February 17, 2017

  • Conor McGregor's favorite romantic comedy might surprise you

    Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 2 days ago

    Conor McGregor doesn’t look like the type of man who fawns over romantic comedies during his downtime. But during an interview with GQ Style, the UFC lightweight champion revealed that there is a certain film that Mystic Mac adores more than any other.

    And it certainly isn’t what you would expect.

    “My favorite romantic comedy would probably be Scarface,” McGregor said in the video conversation with GQ.

    The unconventional rom-com selection falls right in line with McGregor’s greatest love: the mighty dollar. Sure, McGregor has his first baby on the way with his girlfriend Dee Devlin. However, his affinity for cash is something that the 28-year-old shares with the film’s anti-hero, Tony Montana.

    “The love Tony had for the money. It was absolutely breathtaking, it blew me away,” he said. “Such a beautiful love story. Crafted together beautifully.”

  • Holly Holm files complaint about referee, appeals title loss to Germaine de Randamie

    Steven Muehlhausen at Cagewriter 3 days ago

    Former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm has filed an appeal with the New York State Athletic Commission as a result of blows after the bell she suffered in her loss to Germaine de Randamie in their featherweight title bout in the main event Saturday of UFC 208 in Brooklyn.

    Holm’s appeal, filed by attorneys Paul Bardacke and Breanna Houghton, includes a complaint against referee Todd Anderson, who chose not to penalize de Randamie despite blows thrown well after the bell following Rounds 2 and 3.

    The appeal, first reported by MMA Fighting, asks the commission to review Anderson’s decision.

    “We respectfully request the commission review referee Anderson’s failure to assess a foul and render a decision regarding a point deduction following Round 2, and failure to assess a foul and a point deduction following Round 3, and determine an appropriate result,” the complaint states.

  • Source: Georges St-Pierre on the verge of UFC return

    Franklin McNeil at Cagewriter 3 days ago

    After being away from the Octagon for more than two years, former UFC welterweight champion Georges “Rush” St-Pierre is on the verge of returning to the promotion, a source close to the situation told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday.

    Contract talks between representatives for St-Pierre and UFC have heated up, with the sides agreeing on most of the major issues. However, a deal has not yet been announced by the UFC.

    MMAFighting.com was first to report on this matter.

    Members of St-Pierre’s camp haven’t been shy to discuss his desire to return to action. But St-Pierre has been mum about a return date. It’s also unclear in which weight class he intends to compete.

    Regarded as the best 170-pound fighter in MMA history, there is speculation St-Pierre has his eyes set on challenging for the middleweight title. Under the right circumstances, champion Michael Bisping is more than willing to welcome St-Pierre into the 185-pound ranks.

    Efforts to reach current UFC welterweight titleholder Tyron Woodley were unsuccessful.

  • Germaine de Randamie offers Holly Holm a rematch as a result of late blows

    Kevin Iole at Cagewriter 5 days ago

    Criticism of new UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie about throwing late blows at the end of the second and third rounds of her title fight Saturday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn with Holly Holm has prompted de Randamie to take to Facebook to offer Holm a rematch to quell the controversy.

    De Randamie won a unanimous decision, 48-47 on all three cards, to claim the newly created women’s featherweight belt. But had referee Todd Anderson taken a point for either of the two low blows, the fight would have been a draw.

    The late blows were the topic of much debate in the MMA media the day after. Yahoo Sports put much of the blame on Anderson. MMA junkie columnist Ben Fowlkes noted that de Randamie was “the one who gave us the most significant action in her clash with Holly Holm, at times bending the rules to get there … ”

    Thank you all for this amazing journey

    Holland I’m on my way home

  • Yoel Romero launches GoFundMe page for future opponent Michael Bisping's medical expenses

    Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 9 days ago

    Talking trash has never been considered as UFC middleweight contender Yoel Romero’s strong suit. But as he waits for his number to be called for a title fight against champion Michael Bisping, it appears that the Cuban-born Olympic silver medalist in wrestling took the time to brush up on his taunting skills.

    Although he’s been named as Bisping’s opponent, no date has been set for their fight as the champion is currently recovering from a minor knee surgery. But if it is up to Romero, this won’t be the last time that The Count will find himself hospitalized. As a matter of fact, Romero was kind enough to launch a GoFundMe page in an effort to preemptively raise funds to help pay for Bisping’s medical expenses after Romero gets his hands on him.

    I’m raising money for Michael Bisping Medical Expenses. Click to Donate: https://t.co/CtOtbTiaUL via @gofundme

    — Yoel Romero (@YoelRomeroMMA) February 8, 2017

  • Rory MacDonald to face Paul Daley in Bellator debut on May 19 in London

    Kevin Iole at Cagewriter 10 days ago

    Rory MacDonald created a big splash in August when he left the UFC and signed a free-agent contract with Bellator. The welterweight, despite back-to-back losses in his final two UFC fights, was arguably the most gifted fighter among those that Bellator president Scott Coker signed away from the UFC.

    If he never wins another fight, MacDonald will be remembered for taking part in one of the greatest matches of all time, an incredible slugfest on July 11, 2015, in Las Vegas at UFC 189 that he lost via fifth-round TKO to Robbie Lawler in a bout for the welterweight title.

    Bellator will get to show off its prize signing in another high-profile fight. It announced on Twitter on Thursday that MacDonald will face heavy-handed Paul Daley on May 19 in London.

    — Bellator MMA (@BellatorMMA) February 9, 2017

    Now, he’ll get his wish.

    He sat out 11 months after that bout in order to allow his body to heal, then lost a decision on June 18 last year to Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson in his final UFC fight.

  • Conor McGregor on potential Anderson Silva fight: I’ll fight anyone if the numbers are right

    Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 12 days ago

    Even when he isn’t scheduled for a fight, Conor McGregor remains the talk of the town.

    The UFC lightweight champion has been the topic of discussion over the past few months regarding a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather. Although there hasn’t been any movement on that front aside from some conversations through the media, McGregor is still finding ways to be the topic du jour.

    The Irishman that everyone wants to fight has now been targeted by UFC legend Anderson Silva, who has gone on record stating that he’d love to get a shot at McGregor before the 41-year-old retires.

    Silva spoke on the prospect of facing McGregor during a recent media call in advance of his UFC 208 showdown with Derek Brunson.

    “I have a lot of respect for Conor McGregor because this man changed everything in the UFC,” Silva said. “I’m very respectful of Conor McGregor’s style. I think it’s a great challenge for my martial arts technique. I don’t talk to disrespect Conor. It’s just a challenge for myself and for the best standup fighting. I respect Conor, and I think this would be a great show, a great fight for the rest of my life, the rest of my story in the UFC.”