Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 5 hrs ago
Two-time Olympic judo gold medalist Kayla Harrison announced that she will make the jump to the world of mixed martial arts. The 26-year-old has signed a deal with World Series of Fighting where she will serve as a brand ambassador and commentator before making her MMA debut.
“I’ve been boxing and doing jiu-jitsu and all that, and the biggest thing for me, really, is that I miss competing,” Harrison told USA Today Sports. “I miss fighting on the highest stages of the world, and the World Series of Fighting really gave me a great opportunity.”
Harrison captured gold medals at 78 kg (roughly 172 pounds) at both the 2012 and 2016 Olympic games in Judo and will immediately draw comparisons to former training partner Ronda Rousey, who made the leap to MMA after winning a bronze medal at the 2008 Olympics and the first U.S. woman to medal in Judo.
And we all know how that turned out as Rousey helped usher women’s MMA into the UFC and became arguably the biggest crossover star in the promotion.
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 1 day ago
For a moment, there appeared to be a light at the end of the tunnel in the ongoing battle between Georges St-Pierre and the UFC. After St-Pierre declared himself as a free agent, the UFC drew their line in the sand and stated that the former champion was still under contract.
On Tuesday, Michael Bisping took to Twitter and said that he “verbally agreed” to a fight with St-Pierre at UFC 206 in Toronto, which would be a homecoming of sorts for GSP. The UFC middleweight champion added that the UFC and GSP had been “negotiating this fight for the last few days.” All Bisping was waiting for was St-Pierre’s signature to make the fight come to fruition.
@GeorgesStPierre, we all want more money. But let’s go,sign the papers.Give the people of Toronto what they want, be a hero! Let’s go champ!
— michael (@bisping) October 26, 2016
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 7 days ago
The standoff between the UFC and Georges St-Pierre is showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
After St-Pierre rocked the MMA community with his declaration that he is no longer under contract with the UFC, the company promptly responded that the former welterweight champion remained under an existing agreement with the promotion.
The language in that contract is something that St-Pierre’s lawyer, James Quinn of New York firm Weil, Gotshal and Manges, suggested was a “form of slavery,” according to MMA Fighting.
“They’re basically tying him up for life,” Quinn said while stating how “blown away” he was by what he read. “They have no rights and they own all of his licensing and all the other things. It’s unheard of in the other professional sports. And they won’t get away with it forever.”
Quinn has been successful in cases against the NBA and NFL in the past but was shocked at how restrictive the French-Canadian’s contract was.
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 13 days ago
The reason for Brock Lesnar’s failed UFC 200 drug test is still a point of contention according to an anti-doping attorney who represents the former UFC heavyweight champion.
After initially suggesting that asthma medication could have caused the positive drug test, Lesnar has now requested that eye medication and foot cream he used prior to his fight with Mark Hunt be tested for clomiphene and clomiphene metabolites.
MMA Junkie reports that Lesnar’s attorney, Howard Jacobs, requested to postpone the WWE superstar’s disciplinary hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission while it is determined what was the source of the positive test. However, the NAC has not approved the request.
Dana White not opposed to signing troubled ex-NFL player Greg Hardy after he gets some MMA experienceAndreas Hale at Cagewriter 14 days ago
There has been a lot of controversy surrounding former NFL lineman Greg Hardy’s recent announcement that he’s going to pursue a career in mixed martial arts. His checkered past and legal trouble, which includes domestic violence charges and cocaine possession, bled over into his professional career and has kept him off the football field.
Many have criticized the move, including NFL and UFC analyst Jay Glazer, who has called for MMA promotions to steer clear from the troubled 28-year-old. However, that suggestion doesn’t quite ring true for UFC president Dana White.
White appeared on FS1’s Speak for Yourself show and addressed the possibility of Hardy transitioning into the world of MMA. Although he said he wouldn’t bring Hardy into the promotion right now, he wouldn’t rule it out if the former Dallas Cowboy proved he was good enough.
“I’m one of those guys too who believes that we’re all human beings and we all make mistakes,” White said. “And when you make a mistake, you pay your penance, whatever it might be, and you should be allowed to make a living and move on in your life. Is he good enough to come into the UFC and fight? I highly doubt it.”
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 15 days ago
The teenage daughter of heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko was attacked and hospitalized in Moscow in what appears to be in response to Emelianenko’s criticism of child MMA fights in Chechnya hosted by Chechen dictator Ramzan Kadyrov.
The original reports suggested that the victim was the daughter of a “famous heavyweight.” However, Bloody Elbow confirmed with multiple sources that the girl was Emelianenko’s daughter.
According to a report by Moscow publication MKRU, the 16-year-old was assaulted by several individuals while walking home from school late last wek. The attack left the girl with several bruises, but she returned to her home in Moscow and remained there through the weekend. However, the pain did not subside and was taken to the hospital by her mother. She was transferred to the Research Institute of Children’s Emergency Surgery and Traumatology, where she was diagnosed with “contusion of the chest and abdomen.”
The article suggested that Emelianenko’s daughter refused to cooperate with police and identify her attackers.
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 15 days ago
The long-awaited return of Ronda Rousey has been confirmed.
UFC president Dana White made the announcement that the former UFC women’s bantamweight champion will make her anticipated return to the Octagon on Dec. 30 at UFC 207 in Las Vegas against the division’s current champion, Amanda Nunes.
— Dana White (@danawhite) October 12, 2016
Rousey’s hasn’t fought since losing to Holly Holm last November and there had been growing concerns as to whether a return to fighting was in her future. However, Dana White stood firm that Rousey would eventually return and promised her a title shot whenever she decided that she was ready to compete, much to the chagrin of the rest of the division.
Rousey had won the first 12 fights of her MMA career, 11 of them in the first round. It took her a total of 1:04 to defeat Bethe Correia, Cat Zingano and Alexis Davis in the three title defenses before the loss to Holm.
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 16 days ago
It’s no secret that everyone wants a piece of Conor McGregor. The UFC featherweight champion possesses a loud mouth but has also become a massive draw for the fighting promotion. Facing McGregor gives opponents the opportunity at a massive payday as well as the chance to silence the mouthy McGregor.
Although lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez is the next to get the opportunity at UFC 205, there is one opponent who may be able to match McGregor in both the skills department as well as trash talking: UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.
The topic of a possible McGregor-Cruz fight was brought up by a fan question after UFC 204 and Cruz certainly didn’t shy away from the idea. The bantamweight champion outlined how he’d take out the hard-hitting Irishman. Not only that, but Cruz is willing to meet McGregor two weight classes higher than his own at lightweight.
Ultimately, Cruz doesn’t want to become just another guy who wants a fight against McGregor. But he certainly believes that he has the mental and physical tools to take him down. However, if the fight is going to be made, Cruz believes that it’s up to one man to make it happen.
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 17 days ago
It’s no secret that the UFC is struggling to find credible opponents for Cris “Cyborg” Justino. The No. 15 ranked pound-for-pound fighter has destroyed her last two opponents, Lina Lansberg and Leslie Smith, with little trouble and fans have been clamoring for her to face one of the more recognizable names in women’s MMA.
Although a Ronda Rousey fight has been the women’s MMA equivalent to Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, it doesn’t seem close to coming to fruition anytime soon. But while so many other women don’t appear to be too interested in facing the Invicta 145-pound champion, a former UFC women’s bantamweight champ says that she certainly wouldn’t mind stepping up to face the powerful Brazilian.
Miesha Tate appeared on “The MMA Hour” to talk about her UFC 205 showdown with Raquel Pennington but made it clear that she’d be more than willing to fight Cyborg at a catchweight of 140 pounds if the opportunity presented itself.
“When I was the champ the UFC told me that they would not do a catchweight fight,” Tate said. She recently lost her title to Amanda Nunes at UFC 200 back in July. “But now that I’m not the champ I could fight her at 140. I wouldn’t be against it.”
Andreas Hale at Cagewriter 17 days ago
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor was hit with a $150,000 fine by the Nevada Athletic Commission for his role in a bottle-throwing incident that abruptly ended the UFC 202 pre-fight media event in Las Vegas on Aug. 17.
The commission voted unanimously to levy the Irishman with the fine – which equates to five percent of his disclosed $3 million purse earned against Nate Diaz – while also tacking on 50 hours of community service and requiring McGregor to participate in an anti-bullying campaign.
The punishment may seem a bit harsher than originally thought. The Nevada Attorney General initially suggested a fine of $25,000 with 25 days of community service and five hours of media training. However, the commission appeared to want a stiff penalty that would serve as a warning to anybody else that wants to engage in a degree of unsportsmanlike conduct as McGregor did.
I get fined more than these bums get paid
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 10, 2016
“I acted wrong, and all I will say is I’m sorry for this,” McGregor said. “This was a high-stakes fight for me.”