Here's MLB Nation with details of the ex-New York Met's latest spat with authority:
Valdespin showing the same maturity as a 10-year-old Little Leaguer, no surprise there. Valdespin — who recently signed a minor-league contact with the Miami Marlins — had what might the most ridiculous baseball season ever in 2013. Let's recap, shall we?
• He was suspended for PEDs in August as part of the Biogenesis scandal and was eventually non-tendered by the Mets.
• Valdespin called Mets manager Terry Collins an "[expletive] sucker" when he was demoted to Triple-A midseason. He was hitting .188 at the time.
• In Triple-A, he was one of the instigators in a benches-clearing brawl that started after he showboated a home run.
• Another home-run showboating affair — with the Mets in May — led to him getting hit by a pitch the next game. Valdespin had asked not to pinch-hit, because he knew retaliation was coming. After the game, he threw a tantrum in the clubhouse because he didn't get his way.
• Valdespin's unfortunate year started when he was plunked in his private parts by a Justin Verlander fastball in spring training. He wasn't wearing a cup and got mocked by the NY tabloids with a "Numbnuts" headline. Fittingly, that might describe the entire previous year of his life.
Do you ever wonder if Jordany Valdespin is a piece of sports theater? A character in a real-life "Eastbound & Down"-esque show meant to troll us all? It's getting harder and harder to believe — with each of his sad antics — that Valdespin believes himself to be an actual professional baseball player.
Enjoy him, Marlins.
- - - - - - -
- Sports & Recreation
- Dominican Winter League
- Jordany Valdespin
- Tigres del Licey