Five quick links to start your day ...
1. If you're a Rays, Red Sox, Blue Jays or — what the heck — even an Orioles fan, this has to come as welcome news. Hank Steinbrenner is mad and he's going to be getting ultra hands-on during the offseason to fix it. No way this could go horribly wrong. No how. No sir.
"I'm going to be reviewing the entire organization," Hank Steinbrenner told the AP in Tampa (on Thursday). "We're going to do everything we can to win next year. We're not going to wait. Do everything we can that makes sense. We're going to fix what we have to fix. We're going to have to look at what has been done wrong over the last five years, which I've had one year to try and figure out. Clearly, a lot of mistakes were made."
Well, let's see. The big problem over the past five years is that your father and Brian Cashman went around spending money like sailors on leave. They weren't patient, a virtue that The Boss has apparently passed onto his son. Yanks fans best hope that Hank passes a mirror sometime between now and the time he opens his wallet for another bat they don't need.
Frankly, this reminds me of the time I "fixed" the transmission on my car, only to have a full-blown carfire on my hands halfway down the block. (OK, that actually didn't happen, but you can see why I would make such a comparison.) [LoHud Yankees Blog]
2. Like plaid shorts and David Beckham playing in the MLS, the Mets say that collapses are "so 2007." [New York Daily News]
3. For some reason, I really like the fact that Linda Cohn is a junk-talkin' Mets fan. [Deadspin]
4. One of the reasons this Mariners fan likes Francisco Rodriguez? He'll be forcing some team — likely not the Mariners — to overpay for his services. The other is that he'll never have to hear Bobby Thigpen's name ever again. [Lookout Landing]
5. Kurt Evans details what it's like when
the circus ESPN comes to town. [Goat Riders of the Apocalypse]
To submit a link for TOTO consideration, email 'Duk at email@example.com.