Here are 10 reasons why umpires told the tarp to go cover the field:
10. Icicles kept forming on Scott Kazmir's slider.
9. Authorities foolishly ignored Mike Schmidt's plea to play the rest of the game inside the cover of his mustache.
8. In keeping with the bad decisions umpires have made throughout the Series, ump Tim Welke honestly doesn't see anything wrong with finishing Game 5 under the roof in St. Petersburg.
7. Due to a dearth of winter coats on the Philly bench, Shane Victorino shaved the Phillie Phanatic and fashioned its fur/feathers into a cloak.
6. First-base ump Tim Tschida was forced to evoke the little-used "infield igloo" rule too many times.
5. B.J. Upton wearing ice skates probably unfairly helped him steal second base in the sixth.
4. The wipers on Joe Maddon's space-age glasses couldn't keep pace with the sleet.
3. Umps needed a time-out to run to the hardware store to pick up some Elmer Fudds of their own.
2. Rather than booing Santa Claus, Phillies fans piled into his sleigh and headed for the warmth of the North Pole.
1. Commissioner Selig, gripped by an irrational fear that both teams would run out of pitchers, hastily ordered the tarp unrolled in hopes of forcing a "tie."
Getty Images photo