Baseball is back! Here at Big League Stew, we'll take a quick dash around the league each morning in an attempt to keep you updated on all the springtime storylines.
• You wouldn't ask Michelangelo to fine-tune a finger painting, but it's still always a cool day when Sandy Koufax drops in on a spring training camp and offers some advice. The Hall of Famer used to be a fixture at Vero Beach, but with the Dodgers now training in Arizona, Koufax is a regular visitor at his buddy Fred Wilpon's camp in Port St. Lucie. He only worked with one Mets pitcher on Thursday — reliever Bobby Parnell — but promised to return before camp breaks. With the team featuring youngsters like Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler waiting in the wings, I'm guessing the Wilpons wish they could afford a daily chauffeur.
• Great news! Baseball has left it up to the Astros as to whether or not they want the pistols on the Colt .45s throwbacks they'll be wearing for two games this season. An announcement on the team's decision — gee, wonder what it will be? — is expected Friday.
• Justin Verlander vs. Bryce Harper was set to be one of the more intriguing exhibition showdowns this weekend, but now it's in doubt so keep your fingers crossed. Harper is listed as day-to-day after experiencing tightness in his left calf on Thursday.
• Dave Robertson's venison-free fall down the stairs has put his opening day in doubt.
• Congratulations to the nine dwellers who were selected for this season's MLB Fan Cave go-round, a list that includes three good friends of BLS — Lindsay Guentzel, Ricardo Marquez and Benjamin Christensen.