The St. Louis Cardinals kept home-field advantage in the National League Championship Series, holding on to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 1-0 in Game 2 on Saturday afternoon at Busch Stadium.
The hype lived up to expectations everyone had for the pitching, as Michael Wacha of the Cardinals and Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers dominated the other side respectively. Wacha allowed five hits and an intentional walk, getting out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth. Kershaw allowed an unearned run, two hits and a walk in six innings. He struck out five.
• Trevor Rosenthal struck out the side in the ninth for the save after pitching two innings in Game 1.
• The Dodgers lineup couldn't generate much against Wacha, but when they had a golden opportunity, they failed miserably. Mark Ellis popped out with runners at second and third and no outs in the sixth, and Yasiel Puig and Juan Uribe struck out with the bases loaded against Wacha.
Puig is 0 for 10 with six strikeouts in the series. Juan Uribe went 0 for 4 with three whiffs.
• Catcher A.J. Ellis had a huge miscue in the fifth, allowing a passed by Kershaw on a pitch that was almost a strike, allowing the potential go-ahead run to reach third with no outs. And that run scored.
Jon Jay did in the fifth inning what the Dodgers could not do: Hit a ball out of the infield with a runner on third base and less than two outs, enabling David Freese to score the only run. Freese, Mr. Postseason in St. Louis, had led off with a double.
The Dodgers haven't scored in 19 innings.
• The Dodgers starting Clayton Kershaw and Zack Greinke in two games and winning neither of them.
• The uncertain health of Hanley Ramirez and Andre Ethier.
• How soon will the Dodgers bring back Kershaw and Greinke in the series, with the team being so troubled with its No. 4 starter, Ricky Nolasco?
The best-of-seven series shifts to Los Angeles, and all the Cardinals have going for them in Game 3 is ace right-hander Adam Wainwright. Left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu starts for the Dodgers. Ricky Nolasco is scheduled to go in Game 4 against Lance Lynn.