Now, it might puzzle the deep thinkers out there who figure, rightly, that Los Angeles Angels rookie Mike Trout has been the best player in the league this season. But all of the WAR in the world hasn't persuaded bookmakers that Trout will come away with the hardware to celebrate being the youngest MVP ever.
Bovada in Las Vegas reports that Cabrera is better than even money — 2-to-3 — to win. Trout is 6-to-5. So it's not a sure thing, but Cabrera is the favorite. Interesting to note: They don't list any other players online. So, whomever you liked on the Texas Rangers — Josh Hamilton, Adrian Beltre — fuhgeddaboutit.
Cabrera's recent surge to the top of the batting average, home runs and RBI categories, along with the Angels being less likely than the Tigers to make the playoffs, are presumably the main reasons why. In addition to the Triple Crown stats biases, and the "Did he help his team win something?" biases, there's Trout being a lock for AL Rookie of the Year, so he's guaranteed a trophy this season. And plenty of voters out there will figure: "He just turned 21, he'll get more chances to win MVP than Cabrera, who is eight years older." The excuses don't wash, but you have to admit they're there.
Bovada also likes Cabrera's chances to win the Triple Crown, which would be cool. It hasn't happened in 45 years, since 1967 when Carl Yastrzemski won it for Hawk Harrelson's Boston Red Sox. Cabrera is 5-to-7 to win the Triple Crown, and even money not to.
What about some of the other propositions?
• Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants (5-to-4) is the leader for NL MVP, with Andrew McCutchen (2-to-1), Ryan Braun (5-to-2) and Yadier Molina (10-to-1) also in the running. The Pirates tanking has hurt and will continue to hurt McCutchen's chances, and Braun's will be boosted if the Brewers make the playoffs.
• R.A. Dickey and David Price are respective favorites to be named Cy Young winners.
• And don't be sad, Rangers fans: Texas is 9-to-2 to win the whole thing (finally).
Big BLS H/N: Jimmy Shapiro of Sports Radio Interviews
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• Morning Rush: Arizona Cardinals are the NFL's biggest September surprise
• 10 Degrees: Baseball's dirty dozen remain in hunt for October
• Video evidence of JaVale McGee riding Segway in Denver Nuggets locker room
• GrindTV.com: The seven best canyons to explore
- Sports & Recreation
- Miguel Cabrera
- Mike Trout
- Los Angeles Angels
- Detroit Tigers