Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Big League Stew

Mets’ Turner witnesses line drive hit young fan in stands

Mark Townsend
Big League Stew

View photo



One minute we're learning of Emmanuel Marlow's heroic efforts in Washington, the next we're horrified by another scary incident at a Major League Baseball stadium that left a fan injured. And unfortunately, in this particular case, it was a young fan who was spending a day at the ballpark with his mother.

The incident happened in the ninth inning Monday, during Game 1 of the doubleheader between the New York Mets and Florida Marlins at Citi Field. The boy and his mother were seated along the first-base line when Florida's Greg Dobbs pulled a line drive that way. According to one eye-witness, the young fan appeared to see the ball coming, but could do nothing to stop it from striking him on the forehead.

The boy immediately began bleeding heavily, which prompted a security guard to collect several towels from the Mets dugout to help control it. Further help soon arrived, and the fan was eventually transported by wheelchair to an ambulance stationed under the stands.

The game was not delayed — and actually ended — as medics tended to the fan. But several players were fully aware of what was happening, including Mets second baseman Justin Turner, who saw the boy get struck and later commented via

"I saw it hit him, he didn't even move," Turner said. "I heard his mom screaming, and I look back over and blood was squirting out of his forehead onto his mom. It was pretty disturbing.

"It hit him right between the eyes. It was probably one of the worst things I've ever seen on a baseball field."

Later on, Turner was in the tunnel when medics wheeled the boy to an ambulance. He felt a sense of relief when he saw the boy verbally communicating with medics. Later, when Turner spotted his mother, he walked over and handed her his jersey. Not long after, Dobbs walked over from the Marlins clubhouse and gave the boy's mother a bat.

Very classy gestures.

As of now, not all of details of the boy's condition have been released, but Mets vice president of security Robert Kadson conferred good news to Dobbs after the second game. {YSP:MORE}

Kadson told Dobbs that the boy's nose was not broken, his orbital bones were structurally sound, and his eyesight had not been damaged. All very positive pieces of information in wake of the accident.

Turner not only hopes that the boy recovers physically, but also emotionally so he'll feel comfortable coming to the ballpark again.

"I felt sick to my stomach," Turner said. "Hopefully he's all right and it's nothing too serious and we can get him out there and give him a glove for next time."

I echo Turner's comments and would like to put an emphasis on making sure either your child is equipped with a glove, or you as the adult have a glove. That goes for all cases, but especially if you're sitting as close to field level as these fans were. It doesn't guarantee safety, but the increase in odds is worth the investment.

Follow Mark on Twitter — @Townie813 — and engage the Stew on Facebook

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments (0)