New York Yankees captain Derek Jeter talked to the media on Thursday, speaking publicly for the first time since it was revealed his injured ankle would keep him out of baseball even longer than anticipated.
Last week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Jeter would be out until at least the All-Star break. Jeter, however, wasn't throwing around any dates when he spoke.
He did say this: "I have no doubt I'll be back."
Jeter, 38, is recovering from a broken ankle suffered in last year's ALCS. Doctors, last week, discovered a small crack in the area of his previous injury. He was originally hoping to be ready for opening day. Then he was eyeing a May 1 return. On Thursday, Jeter just told reporters "soon."
"I'm not giving a timeline. Last timeline I set I didn't make. I don't want to disappoint myself ... I have a lot of confidence that the bone is going to heal and I'll be back out there playing again."
Jeter is wearing a walking boot these days, but didn't wear it to the press conference. Doctors previously told Jeter he didn't need another surgery, just time for his ankle to fully heal.
Without Jeter, the Yankees — also missing Alex Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira — are 11-9 and in third place in the AL East.
Baseball video from Yahoo! Sports:
Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
• MLB Power Rankings: Rangers climb near top
• NFL draft first-round winners and losers
• Manti Te'o, Geno Smith headline Day 2 NFL draft prospect list
• Magic Johnson gives up on Lakers' chances
- Sports & Recreation
- New York Yankees