1. Mo(rales) Money, Mo(rales) problems: In an excellent piece reported by @jorgearangure, we learn that the Angels first baseman is missing $300,000 and that a former employee of Hendricks Sports Management is being investigated by the MLBPA and police in Florida for the missing cash case. There's already a lot of finger-pointing being done and when you combine that with the amount of money involved, it's a pretty intriguing story.
Morales just fled the Hendricks Bros. for the representation of Scott Boras, but it looks like he's already learned the sad lesson that athletes are always targets for opportunists, no matter how big or established an agency one joins. ESPN
2. The player's union released its statement on possible HGH testing in baseball on Wednesday. Among other points of contention, it seems clear they'd rather wait for a urine test that doesn't yet exist than agree to get stuck with needles for a blood test. Hardball Talk
3. Jay McGwire has finally gotten the green light to release his book on his brother Mark's steroid use, but I wouldn't expect it to sell very well. People don't like steroids but they like people who profit from airing their family's dirty laundry even less. NYDN
4. Bill Baer takes a lengthy look at how trading Ryan Howard(notes) after the 2010 season would help the Phillies. Benefits could include: An ability to retain Jayson Werth(notes), a restocking of the farm system and signing a decent first baseman (which would shift Placido Polanco(notes) to second and Chase Utley(notes) over to first). A great post to spark debate. Crashburn Alley
5. Johnny Damon(notes) predicts an MVP in Miguel Cabrera's(notes) future and thinks that Magglio Ordonez(notes) will have a big season in his contract year. You know, because if anyone's familiar with producing big with an expiring contract, it's Johnny Damon. Bless You Boys
6. Tyler Hissey hands out awards for the top 10 nicknames in baseball and christens Ben Zobrist's(notes) "Zorilla" as the best. Not bad, but it doesn't come close to Joakim Soria's(notes) "Mexicutioner" moniker. Tauntr
7. Here's how much I usually suck at fantasy baseball: I could enter this league in which the goal is to field the worst squad and all of my guys would somehow manage to have career years. Which would put me in first place. (Or would it be last?) Razzball
10. Warm BLS birthday wishes go out to Ron Santo, who turns 70 today. Santo causes all sorts of feelings, but the way he goes about life despite his medical situation should be truly inspiring to all baseball fans. Bleed Cubbie Blue
11. Sad news, everyone: Dome Dogs aren't making the move to Target Field. Sooze!
12. All of us remember the antics of the San Diego Chicken. But how many of us can recall "Bluepper", the mutant dog mascot that replaced the Chicken at Jack Murphy? No wonder Ted Giannoulas is still so angry. Gaslamp Ball