1. Let's get this straight: The Texas Rangers just forced Michael Young(notes) into their DH spot after signing Adrian Beltre(notes) to a $96 million deal and now they're interested in adding Jim Thome(notes)?
Considering that Jimmers is going to want a raise from the bargain $1.5 million he earned in Minnesota last season, we're talking about the Rangers committing near $20 million to a DH spot that they could have had Vladimir Guerrero(notes) and David Murphy(notes) man for half the price. I know that Jon Daniels was eager to spend his newfound cash, but these are clearly not
your father's 2010 self's Texas Rangers. DMN
4. Maybe it's the pre-coffee voices talking in my head, but wouldn't it be funny if Scott Boras arranged a deal between Andruw Jones(notes) and the Yankees, then sent Johnny Damon(notes) — another client — to Tampa for spring training instead? MLB Trade Rumors
5. At the bottom of this story about Jim Leyland's son being invited to Tigers' spring training is this line: "The team says it expects Al Kaline and Willie Horton to be in uniform this spring." Well, that's one way to build a team on veteran leadership. AP
10. Hey, who's worried about empty seats in the spring and the fall? The Cubs are using the promise of Yankees, White Sox or Cardinals tickets to sell seats at games against teams like the Pirates and D'Backs. Bleed Cubbie Blue
11. The Royals are looking for a few good social media experts to interview their players at the upcoming Royals FanFest in a few weeks. Ball Star