Baseball, sports and blogs are obviously taking a big back seat to Barack Obama today and I plan to spend much more time devouring the proceedings in Washington than the humdrum January diamond news in my RSS reader. School and work have always prevented me from watching an inauguration, so you can bet I'm going to take advantage of baseball's offseason and enjoy the downtime. Hope you can do the same.
While you're watching, here are a few Obama-related baseball links:
• As noted in Monday's Chicago Tribune, the White Sox are looking into the possibility of designing a special edition Barack Obama hat for their First Fan. Our own David Brown took the liberty of imagining what a hat might look like and you can see the result above. New Era has already dropped a few Obama-inspired 59Fifty hats, but I think we can all agree that DB's look is the real commander-in-chief.
• Sox hat sales were up 25 percent in December, but none of those new caps went to Obama himself. Though club owner Jerry Reinsdorf offered to send a replacement for the well-worn cap he dons everywhere, Obama politely refused. It's nice to know that even the leader of the free world can recognize the value of an old hat that just feels right.
• The White Sox have a dedicated "First Fan" page on their website and it's being reported they'll extend an official invitation to throw out the first pitch at U.S. Cellular Field once he's officially sworn in an as President.
• If you'd like to download the above "campaign" poster or a few others, visit BringChangeHome.com. It's a viral website started by Maddock Douglas, one of the ad agencies that works with the White Sox and gives a cool baseball-style twist on today's proceedings.
• The White Sox will be represented by their mascot Southpaw during today's Inauguration Parade. He'll be riding on the Illinois float.
• Finally, just for fun, here's a list we did back in November after the election: Ten ways Barack Obama could help the Sox once he's in the Oval Office.
UPDATE: Here's a photo of the banner they just unfurled outside The Cell.