Since Elvis turns 74 years young today, I thought I'd share some links that involve both Elvis and baseball.
Since he was more of a football fan, these were a little hard to find. Still, here's betting you'll devour 'em faster than these PB, bacon and banana sandwiches.
* * *
• Not counting Lance "Fat Elvis" Berkman, Elvis Pena is the only Major Leaguer in history to share a first name with The King. He had a combined 49 ABs in 25 games with the Rockies and Brewers in 2000-01.
• Jim Presley, an All-Star with the Mariners in 1986, is the only one to share his last name.
• Kirk Presley, The King's third cousin, was drafted eighth overall by the Mets in 1993 and also hailed from Tupelo, Mississippi. Despite signing for a $900,000 bonus, Kirk never reached the bigs. He currently coaches the Tupelo 49ers American Legion baseball team.
• In 1978, Donruss produced a 66-card Elvis Presley set, which you can bid on at Ebay here. (Bid currently stands at a whopping $3.31.)
• But if you're going to buy only one Elvis item, make sure it's this baseball jacket, which will run you $234, but will be worth every single penny.
• Elvis played a six-show run at the Astrodome in 1970, drawing 207,494 people.
• As documented on the Stew last season, an Elvis impersonator was arrested at Wrigley Field after running on the field and sliding on the tarp.
• The White Sox hold an "Elvis Night" each August, featuring impersonators and Flying Elvii.
• Elvis inspired The Honky Tonk Man, whom I met at a Brewers' spring training game.
- Elvis Presley