Happy new year, Stewies! Before we turn out the lights on 2012, let us check out a five-panel cartoon from the 1890s that is heavy with pun. Possibly with a nod toward the famous "Ascent of Man," this poster illustrates the natural progression from a cat with a ball of string to cat-cher with a baseball. Thanks to Erik Malinowski of the Deadspin for rummaging around in the basement of the Library of Congress and finding this.
Some things to note about our catcher:
• The lack of a mitt. If our backstop is wearing any kind of glove, there's not much material to it.
• Also, he's got a facemask. Seems pretty progressive for the Old Hoss Radbourn era.
• Can you imagine the patience required to roll yarn into a ball?
• That ball is HUGE.
• The catcher has dainty little feet!
• Cat paws actually would make for good baseball cleats.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Sports & Recreation