We've heard the criticism before: InterTubing does a great job of bringing out some of the best dunks and touchdown runs, but where are the soccer and hockey goals? Consider this week's compendium an attempt at making good for those past ommissions, with a firm focus put on soccer offense and hockey defense, as it were.
• Gilbert Castro, Nogales (Ariz.): The most amazing part of this goal from Nogales High's Gilbert Castro may not just be his athleticism on the scissor kick goal, it's the lackluster reception it draws. Really? That goal couldn't draw more applause?
• Patrick Murray, Mansfield Legacy (Texas): Of all the deep goals off free kicks, this is the best one we've seen in awhile, coming from a full 4-yards out by Mansfield Legacy's Pat Murray. Perhaps Murray's mystery opponents should have seen this coming, however, as he knocked Denton Guyer (Texas) out of the playoffs on a similar goal last spring.
• Brandon Bianchi, Spencerport (N.Y.) vs. Greece Athena (N.Y.): Brandon Bianchi scored a handful of truly impressive goals in traffic during the course of this 2010 season, but none were more impressive than this goal, which helped lift Spencerport to a 2-0 win.
• Middletown (R.I.) vs. Pilgrim (R.I.): We're not sure who the main actors involved in this acrobatic flip were, but we know that it came in the middle of the rink in the middle of a heated battle between two Rhode Island league leaders.
• Spencer Peck, Ann Arbor (Mich.) Pioneer vs. Grosse Point South (Mich.): There are plenty of great high school hockey goalies across the country, and Peck definitely belongs among them. He racked up an incredible 39 saves, proving he's one of the best players in Michigan, and maybe one of the better goalies in the country.
• Coon Rapids (Minn.) vs. Blaine (Minn.): What's better than a tight, overtime girls hockey game with playoff implications? A tight, 4-3 overtime girls hockey game with playoff implications that's played outdoors! Check out the goal celebrations that end in park fencing around the outdoor rink.
• National Signing Day, Austin (Texas): OK, so we couldn't completely leave out football and basketball highlights. It was the week of National Signing Day, after all. And a unique National Signing Day it was, with blizzards across the country creating serious difficulties for players who were trying to fax in their letters of intent. That was evident in this clip, where Austin sports radio station 1300 The Zone was broadcasting from the Austin Marriot, which was holding a signing ceremony before all power went out in rolling blackouts across the city.