Three members of a prominent Arizona high school football program have been suspended from their team indefinitely after being charged with involvement in an alleged home robbery in early August.
While the Mesa (Ariz.) Mountain View High football coach Norris Vaughan was unable to confirm the identity of the suspended players, he confirmed to the Ahwatukee Foothills News that three members of his program had been dismissed for an indefinite period of time because of their involvement in an off-the-field incident.
"We suspended some players this week and we had some other players suspended in previous weeks," Vaughan told the Foothills News. "We look at each one separately and decide when, if at all, it is OK for them to come back to the program."
In those comments, Vaughan left open the possibility of a return to the Mountain View program, though that would seem to be extraordinarily unlikely if the Toros trio are found to be involved in the robbery they allegedly perpetrated, according to Dr. Linda Littell, the Tempe Union High School District's director of communications.
"The football team and all other sports have policies where if they violate certain ethical issues they would be eliminated from the team," Littell said. "Something of this nature would most certainly fall under that."
How the rest of the Mountain View squad responds to the loss of three players in such controversial circumstances remains to be seen, though it certainly won't help the team's tough start of the season; Mountain View kicked off its season on Friday with a 43-7 rout of a loss at Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain, and continues with a tough early season schedule in the team's home opener against Desert Ridge (Ariz.) High on the first Friday in September.
- Mountain View